Information sessions (1 Viewer)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
What happens if there is no way i can go, i am going to be interstate! I can definitely not make it

stupidrobbo

HSC
I also couldn't go.. have you been in contact with the uni? if so, what did they say about not going?

mz`ds

HSC
its okay if you couldnt go. i went and there werent that many people there. it was pretty boring actually. there were people that you could talk to about the courses and stuff and thats it.

HSC
The info sessions aren't importmant. If you have any questions, you can always call your student centre, or email your head of dept.
However, going to the Orientaion day of your uni is more important and useful .

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Going to Orientation Day ain't compulsory right?

I don't feel like going to Orientation Day......but hopefully I'll still be alright on the first day of actual uni. ;)

GloomyBear

HSC
Going to Orientation Day ain't compulsory right?

I don't feel like going to Orientation Day......but hopefully I'll still be alright on the first day of actual uni. ;)
It said it was compulsory to attend on the site.

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Serious? I read that it isn't compulsory and is completely optional.
Unless it only applies for those going to the North Sydney campus.

GloomyBear

HSC
^oh my bad? I just saw that like on the timetable it said compulsory for what students to attend which times lol.

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Wait, I think what you mean by compulsory is for the information session nights. lol

They don't offer one for my course........

But for O Week, it ain't compulsory though....completely up to you if you want to attend.

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Oh, that's good then. I think its only a strategy so that most students will be forced to go.

mzD

HSC
Dosnt orientation go for a week? From the 16th Feb-19th Feb?

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Yeah it does, but only 1 or 2 days are relevant for everyone.....
Like Monday is for everyone then the following days are for certain students doing certain courses.

Melody

HSC
N/A
Word of advice: go for at least the first two days.

Why?

So that you are settled in, know where things are, who is who and what to do before classes start so you can hit the ground running. Once other students return and your classes start, everywhere gets busy and can be really confusing. Give yourself a break and come to orientation so that you're not as hectic when classes start and you're equipped with info and contacts that will help you throughout your course.

Some of the things you get to do during orientation that you may not be able to do/have time to do once classes start

1) meet course coordinator/lecturers

2) become familiar with course requirements, how university works and what you need to do.

2) meet other first year students

3) take a campus tour and get yourself familiar with the campus - I didn't find my way around until my 4th year when I was trained to conduct orientation tours, find your way around while others in your year and above are still wandering around confused.

4) who is here to help you? meet student services - mission engagement, counseling, disability services and academic skills unit - what do they do? what can they do for you? why are they going to be important to your success at uni?

5) find out what textbooks and readings you need and get into the co-op bookshop before the rest of the uni start lining up to get in during first to third weeks.

6) meet the Student Association - find out what they do, what social activities are on offer, clubs and groups you can join

7) take a library tour, meet the library staff, find out how a university library is different to a school library and how you can use its services to your advantage.

8) find out about community engagement at ACU and the difference it will make to your time at ACU and beyond

9) Pick up your Student ID card - get your transport concession and beat the rush

10) Take Academic Skills workshops and prepare yourself for university study

Come along, have some fun, meet your future friends :)

BoyNextDoor

HSC
So for example we can't go to any of the orientation days.....
Where can we get out Student ID cards? Cause I'm sure not everyone will be able to go.

Melody

HSC
N/A
So for example we can't go to any of the orientation days.....
Where can we get out Student ID cards? Cause I'm sure not everyone will be able to go.
Your friendly local Student Centre :)

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Your friendly local Student Centre :)
Oh okay, is that on campus?
Sorry, I'm just new to all of these stuff.
Cause I don't think I can attend any of the orientation days.....so I'll just pick it up from there....?

Melody

HSC
N/A
Oh okay, is that on campus?
Sorry, I'm just new to all of these stuff.
Cause I don't think I can attend any of the orientation days.....so I'll just pick it up from there....?
Yes it's the Student Centre on your campus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)