• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Infs1000 (1 Viewer)

HSC
i think all B.Com students got an email about this.
anyone planning to change theirs to semester 1?

EDIT: and for any past students...what is this course like?..computer based course? :confused:

lo_ol

HSC
i did....so i can have monday free

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
I'm a 3rd year student, but still haven't done infs1000....and yeah i got the email, but i'm not changing it.

Its largely computer based, workshops are held in the computer labs, im pretty sure you do basic programming using excel and study VBA?

My friends that have done have described the lectures (and most of the subject) as dry and pointless, which may affect you motivation to do well in the subject. But as with any subject, they say if you keep up from the start then it should be no problems.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
infs lectures are of no use, the lecturers just go thru the textbk chapters in the lectures.....but the workshops and tutes are very important coz if u fail the second vba test , u fail the unit ( well this was the rule last yr, mite change this yr) and vba might get annoying if u don't understand whats going on....so pay attention in the workshops n tutes.....u can miss the lectures ( they r pointless) n u don't need to print the lecture notes either coz lecture notes r a copy of the text :p

anywayz goodluck!!!:)

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
For any one who has done any form of programming the VBA part will b a sinch for those who haven't pay attention in the workshops and tutes as people have been saying and if ur sturggling or dont get go to the supplementary tutes! The other part of the course is total BS all i remember is going to the final lecture with Paul saying I worte my questions so if u went to the lectures you will find it easy which is BS if u can BS u can get a D or a HD(like my mate and I she didn't turn up to ne lectures) no questions asked with in mind that you were able to get your head around the programming and do well in that

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
from several credible sources: infs will be the most f***ed up course u will ever do...

s.m.i.t.h

HSC
how do u add this to my current timetable so I can see what it would look like if i did pick up INFS?

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
xiao1985 said:
from several credible sources: infs will be the most f***ed up course u will ever do...
and the easiest HD u'll ever get ;)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Mejc said:
and the easiest HD u'll ever get ;)
serz?! goodie... look fwd to it nxt yr...

@smith: u can't... however, u can access the central timetable and try to fit the sessions into ur current tt...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I did INFS last year and I have to say it's worst unit i've done to date. Its very very boring, and the final exam is basically all bs. I hated the vba stuff, so much so that I failed both vba tests but still managed to survive the unit with a mid credit :)

I personally don't believe that its an easy hd subject despite what everyone else thinks (well maybe if you've done previous programming before it is). I only attended 1 infs lecture the whole sem, but the tuts are important.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Ultimate said:
the final exam is basically all bs. I hated the vba stuff, so much so that I failed both vba tests but still managed to survive the unit with a mid credit :)

I personally don't believe that its an easy hd subject despite what everyone else thinks (well maybe if you've done previous programming before it is). I only attended 1 infs lecture the whole sem, but the tuts are important.

i gotta agree, the final exam was no way related to the text bk material ( kinda good for me in a way coz i had not covered the entire bk one night before the exam :p)

well i got an hd easily:D without putting in much effort.....and i had not done excel vba programming before....:p
yeah the tutes are VERY important

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
And make sure you get a tutor that knows what they are doing 'casue mine admitted she had no clue....so i started teaching the class and helping people, which she didn't like (had it in for me badly) especially when i walked in half and hour late and knew what was going on :p

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
elizabethy said:
i gotta agree, the final exam was no way related to the text bk material ( kinda good for me in a way coz i had not covered the entire bk one night before the exam :p)
The only thing related was the MC which was from the weekly comp MC tests :) The rest was BS thoughi only bothere to write on the given space for the case studies i am pretty sure all i did was re-write the same thing over and over and i looked around and saw all these people writting a 14 pg Thesis

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Mejc said:
The only thing related was the MC which was from the weekly comp MC tests :)

yeah, the MCQ were from the weekly quizzes... :)

dprs

HSC
hey guys, i got the 4th edition INFS textbook for really cheap (the fat one, not the VBA one), but apparently theres a 5th edition, which has some new case studies or something... but i looked at the contents, they both have the same structure

from someone who's done the course before, will it make much of a difference???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)