Innovation (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
a) The "entrepreneurial stream" subjects (business and IT) replace some of the science subjects. This makes the innovation courses slightly more difficult, since you really are thrown in bound by having to learn fundamental stuff yourself (eg in Nano the semester 1 physics and chemistry subjects are replaced by business ones).

b) Yes and no. The Innovation courses are designed to give you an entrepreneurial edge over graduates with "normal" degrees. Aside from that, the actual major content is the same. The real advantage is for people who start companies based on their scientific knowledge - very common for Nano and Biotechnology. If you're just looking at the usual scientific work (ie lab research etc) then there isn't really any difference between the courses.

Remember though that after some years scientists working in the private sector tend to be "promoted" to more management type roles - your qualifications may accelerate your ascent to this position (if not allow you to apply directly for it). Not a bad deal really, though it's still hard work. ;)

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Thank you Lexi, you are helpful as usual.
I think that I'll put down Bachelor of Biotech./Bachelor of business as my first preference as that only takes an extra year and I'll have two degrees. Then I'll have biotech innovation as my second prefernce.
P.S. I couldn't rep. you because I have to "spread it around," apparently...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)