Insane Extenglish Assessment (1 Viewer)

HSC
"Choose a text which is either a utopia, dystopia or a feminist text. Prepare a 4 min seminar presentation on the nature and value of this text to readers in 2004. It must include information on the conventions of Utopian literature as displayed in your chosen text; the context in which it was composed and its reception on at least two contexts; an account of the language and allusions chosen by the composer; additional consideration may be given to how this text is similar or dissimilar to the texts prescribed in this course."

Chosen Text; Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy.
Texts prescribed; Thomas More's Utopia and Gulliver's Travels.

I need desperate help. I have next to no idea what the hell the teacher is on about. Please!

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
no offence but i why dont you ask the teacher first..seriously :)

nwatts

HSC
No offense whatsoever, but that sounds bloody easy. Can you change your chosen text to 1984 just to make it a tad easier? :)

And what STx said - ask your teacher if you're perplexed. If you can't -

Look out how the context in which your text was written has shaped its view of utopian/dystopian society. Example, 1984 was written following WWII and the rise of two considerably large totalitarian states. The nature of the world of 1984 is obviously shaped by Orwell's view of the future, and how he feels states such as Germany/Russia can band together to opress the masses.

That's one example. Find when your text was written, what values the author has and has woven into his text. If it's a post-war text, your job is much easier. Most people tend to whine about war, and vent frustration in creating a future world torn by war and such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)