Instead of Providing Yearly B6's for ATAR Estimates, Why Don't We Also Look at Historic Averages [Suggestion] (1 Viewer)

MaccaPaccca

HSC
TL;DR: Find out your school's average cohort HSC mark at to possibly provide extra detail when doing asking for an ATAR estimate. THERE ARE LIMITATIONS THOUGH.

So short story short, I recently stumbled upon a SMH article by the name of, "Meet the year 12 student who spent two years crunching HSC data". The article referred to a website which provides insight into multiple data points including, scaling graphs, aggregate contributions of subjects, band distribution, etc. Specifically, one of those features shows the performance of a certain school which you can search for which is available.

If possible, I would suggest for ATAR estimates to include this statistic as knowing the historical average can be used to extrapolate not just if you achieved either a band 6 or band 5. This statistic would be able to give a medium confidence estimate to whether you're roughly capable of achieving a more specific mark.

An example of this in action is shown below;

E.g. School Rank is 20~, | Internal Ranking | % in trial | Number of B6's last year | Average Cohort Performance of [insert year]
Subject 1: | 3/17 | 78% | 8 | 85.5
Subject 2: | 17/40 | 65% | 11 | 86
Subject 2: | 30/85 | 72% | 38 | 87

etc...

Looking at subject 2, it can be inferred that we are unlikely to receive a band 6 as only rank 11th and below received such last year. However, from the average cohort performance of 86, we can infer that possibly we are still capable of receiving a high band 5 as we are in the 57.5% percentile.

However, as it is a piece of historical information that can change drastically from year to year, possibly it may be inaccurate to this year. In that case it may be possible to take the average of such data points, or possibly extrapolate informally by asking the question, "Is our cohort shitter than last year" and adjusting by +- 1 accordingly.

Edit: Search for your school not the subject.
Edit again: Only public schools (selective or non-selective)

Last edited:

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
TL;DR: Find out your school's average cohort HSC mark at to possibly provide extra detail when doing asking for an ATAR estimate. THERE ARE LIMITATIONS THOUGH.

So short story short, I recently stumbled upon a SMH article by the name of, "Meet the year 12 student who spent two years crunching HSC data". The article referred to a website which provides insight into multiple data points including, scaling graphs, aggregate contributions of subjects, band distribution, etc. Specifically, one of those features shows the performance of a certain school which you can search for which is available.

If possible, I would suggest for ATAR estimates to include this statistic as knowing the historical average can be used to extrapolate not just if you achieved either a band 6 or band 5. This statistic would be able to give a medium confidence estimate to whether you're roughly capable of achieving a more specific mark.

E.g. School Rank is 20~, | Internal Ranking | % in trial | Number of B6's last year | Average Cohort Performance of [insert year]

etc...

Looking at subject 2, it can be inferred that we are unlikely to receive a band 6 as only rank 11th and below received such last year. However, from the average cohort performance of 86, we can infer that possibly we are still capable of receiving a high band 5 as we are in the 57.5% percentile.

However, as it is a piece of historical information that can change drastically from year to year, possibly it may be inaccurate to this year. In that case it may be possible to take the average of such data points, or possibly extrapolate informally by asking the question, "Is our cohort shitter than last year" and adjusting by +- 1 accordingly.
And with what data do I use 🤩

Sdd is shit for data haha

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC

etc...

this is bs my school isnt there for maths

MaccaPaccca

HSC
REMINDER TO EVERYONE: DONT SEARCH FOR THE SUBJECT, SEARCH FOR YOUR SCHOOL!

MaccaPaccca

HSC
I guess another way to know the averages is to do some OSINT, and find if your school uploads them publicly.
Something like, "[Insert school here] HSC Results [Year]"

goodcat911

HSC
Yup seems like only public schools (non, partial and fully selective) works as of now.
makes sense was wondering how my school was top 5 for chem and top 10 for phys... especially with last yrs cohort

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)