Int studies at UNSW or MAQ (1 Viewer)

Peartie

HSC
when i did POL168 the lecturer (who was only there for the one semester as far as I know- Ben Goldsmith) said that "I teach in the American Style which means I assume you will have read the reading of the week meaning I wont go into detail about it therefore to get a good mark you need to read the readings each week" (He has been my only lecturer so far that has actually told me i had to do the readings and then assumed everyone had) - i didnt do them and got a D.....so sometimes they will say you *HAVE* to do the readings and *HAVE* to buy the books but you won't...its really use your discretion

Nostalgia

HSC
ah thanks for the replies
for the exchange program, i heard macq gives out a travel grant. is that true? how much do they give? and is it available to anyone going on international studies exchange?

Peartie

HSC
they do give a travel grant to ANYONE doing overseas travel for the uni degree

For Int Stud people they get an extra 500 dollars

meaning to Europe its 4500

rwc

HSC
Also, for certain universities (just flicking through the partner directory universities in chile, turkey, china, thailand) you can also apply for a umap scholarship which means you get upto an extra $4000 so you can possibly get a grant thats a total of ~$8000 which is pretty sweet.

If you go on short exchanges they also give you grant I went on a winter vacation trip last year and got $2500 for the 6 weeks i was overseas. Macquarie is pretty good with grants.

rwc

HSC
Hey Peartie how is the germany trip going and also could you tell me a bit about the workload you get over there? Its probably different for every unversity/country but how do you choose your subjects and does the grade you get given affect your gpa or is it just on a pass or fail basis? Also are the units taught in german/english/both? Basically how are you finding it :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
rajputsingh said:
if ur heart is really in it go with unsw because u might regret it in later life that u never took hte chance however if u think u dont really mind then macquarie:)
Rofl wtf?

FEEL THE HEART OF THE CARDS YO

Nostalgia

HSC
rwc said:
Also, for certain universities (just flicking through the partner directory universities in chile, turkey, china, thailand) you can also apply for a umap scholarship which means you get upto an extra $4000 so you can possibly get a grant thats a total of ~$8000 which is pretty sweet.
wow, that is good. I am wondering if you do exchange in a non-anglosphere country would they teach in english or their native language to their exchange students?

rwc

HSC
I have not been on my exchange but have only done a language learning month overseas where the course was entirely in Spanish (to improve my Spanish obviously). But logically, say from the four countries I listed, the universities in Turkey and Thailand would have to teach in English as there are no Turkish or Thai language units at Macquarie thus it would be assumed you have no prior experience in said language. I'm not entirely sure though, someone here might clarify this or you could ring the university to check :)

X

xeuyrawp

rwc said:
I have not been on my exchange but have only done a language learning month overseas where the course was entirely in Spanish (to improve my Spanish obviously). But logically, say from the four countries I listed, the universities in Turkey and Thailand would have to teach in English as there are no Turkish or Thai language units at Macquarie thus it would be assumed you have no prior experience in said language. I'm not entirely sure though, someone here might clarify this or you could ring the university to check :)
That's correct.

Peartie

HSC
rwc said:
Hey Peartie how is the germany trip going and also could you tell me a bit about the workload you get over there? Its probably different for every unversity/country but how do you choose your subjects and does the grade you get given affect your gpa or is it just on a pass or fail basis? Also are the units taught in german/english/both? Basically how are you finding it :D

Germany trip is going well thanks :)

The workload over here for me consists of
Monday: 4 hours (1200-1400, 1600-1800)
Tuesday: 4 hours (1200-1400, 1800-2000)
Wednesday: 2 hours (1200-1400)
Thursday: 8 hours (0800-1000, 1200-1600, 1800-2000)

And all my classes are taught in German although if you come over here and study english for some stupid reason the majority of the classes are English (My uni even has "Australian English" and "Australian Geography" (although they do culture, history etc in this class rather than rock formations and things)

I get a grade of between 1 and 5 here in Germany (1 being great and 5 being fail) but as long as I pass the subject in Germany I just get a "P" at Macquarie and if you pass everything it doesnt affect your GPA...so I was told.

There are some Universities around the place where they will teach in only english but if you're going to a non english country i reccomend @ least doing a language course and learning some of the language!!!

hope that helps!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Peartie said:
There are some Universities around the place where they will teach in only english but if you're going to a non english country i reccomend @ least doing a language course and learning some of the language!!!
Also increases your fe/male playing field by 100%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)