int. studies: USYD or UNSW? (1 Viewer)

janishe

HSC
Hi,

My first UAC preference was always the University of Sydney's international and global studies but in the main and late rounds I didn't get an offer from USYD, so I was planning to go to UNSW.

However in the Final Round this morning I just got an offer from USYD, and now I'm not sure of which university to go to.

Which university seems to be better for international studies? Course structure wise, UNSW seems to be more organised and I don't know how USYD's program works.

Does USYD have OSP?

Thanks in advance!

witide

HSC
Personally I changed from UNSW to USYD because they have a better arts faculty here. They have a much wider range of courses too.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
I did Int St at USyd for 1 year and I absolutely hated it. So, um, yeah if that helps. My first preference was always International Studies @ UNSW but I never got it :( my UAI was 0.20 below last year's cutoff (and it's above it by like 0.7 this year grr).

KarmaKitten

HSC
Well I'm not sure about International Studies at UNSW. But I have heard that the Arts faculty at UNSW blows while the Arts faculty is really really good.

I've come across a lot of International Studies students in my subjects and most seemed to enjoy it.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
The course at UNSW is more focused on culture and stuff whereas here it's more focused on economics. So it depends on what you like more, for me I hate economics.
Isn't it a completely different course structure this year, it's now a Bachelor of International and Global Studies? I don't think it's so economics based now.

bustinjustin

HSC
Isn't it a completely different course structure this year, it's now a Bachelor of International and Global Studies? I don't think it's so economics based now.

The new B. Int and Glob. Studies at Sydney combines the old B. Int Studies (which was generally more political/economic in focus) with the old B. Global Studies (which was generally more sociological/anthropological). The range of core units for 'B. I. G. S.' reflect this. However, whether the course is more 'economic' or 'sociological' or whatever depends entirely on one's major/s.

B. International and Global Studies, USYD

B. Int. Studies UNSW

Perhaps the main difference is the course length: UNSW appears to be 4 years full-time (and the overseas exchange component is 2 semesters, and seems compulsory), while USYD is only 3 years, and an optional overseas exchange (or an internship) can be done within that 3 year timeframe, over 1 or 2 semesters.

Last edited:
B

bekmay

from what i saw when looking at both courses, i preferred UNSW, and didn't even end up putting USYD as a preference. USYD's course has changed this year (i think?), so nobody can really say what its like...
at UNSW, you have a full year partially paid student exchange.

janishe

HSC
thanks!! it's been really helpful...
i have another question, i want to combine int.studies with law in second year, but which uni is 'easier'/less competitive to transfer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)