Integrate 2^x (1 Viewer)

SunnyScience

HSC
Hi,

Can someone show me a quick and easy (?) way of integrating y = 2^x, by noticing that d(2^x)/dx = ln2.2^x

Ty :)

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
integration of a^x = a^x / log e a
That's an integral :)

Edit: so integration of 2^x = 2^x / Ln 2 + C

D94

HSC
N/A
Hi,

Can someone show me a quick and easy (?) way of integrating y = 2^x, by noticing that d(2^x)/dx = ln2.2^x

Ty :)
I'm not sure if I've interpreted this correctly, but assuming this means "given", then:

funnytomato

HSC
are you allowed to just "move" 1/lna to the other side???
yes

[a simpler example] would you agree:
d/dx(x^2)=2x
and (1/2)*d/dx(x^2)=x ?

in your question, a is just a constant(a=2,in this particular case) , so is ln(a)
d/dx(a^x)= ln(a)*(a^x)
then (1/ln(a))*d/dx(a^x)=a^x

HSC
You don't need to show the working - ie you can go from but carrotsticks is stressing the knowledge of the process involved in coming to the integral - ie. that you can only do calculus with base e.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm just not convinced with...
[...]
are you allowed to just "move" 1/lna to the other side???
1/ln(a) is just a constant. Like the number 1 or 5 or 100, it can be moved over to the other side.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Interesting discussion. I'd also do it more-or-less the Carrot way.

The above exchanges reveal a quite-common lack of grasp of the following principle:

1)

2)

where k is a constant, like ln 2 or ln a above.

Thus:

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Not every time, but it's certainly important to know and understand the process at least, rather than simply memorising it
Agreed. Esp in 3U and 4U: being able to derive a result is more important than being able to memorise it. That said, it often helps to be able to remember a result without having to derive it.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Agreed. Esp in 3U and 4U: being able to derive a result is more important than being able to memorise it. That said, it often helps to be able to remember a result without having to derive it.
Yes, I too agree.

For example, I have TERRIBLE memory and I can NEVER remember the Pythagorean Identities such as:

And when I need to use it, I just start with:

And depending on which identity I need, I divide by either sin squared or cos squared.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Carrot: that'd be too slow. Must have all those imprinted in your head.

It's like some of my students insisting it is unnecessary to remember all the exact values of sin, cos and tan of 0, 30, 45, 60 & 90 degrees. They say you can always derive them from the well-known triangles. Do that and another 1 or more precious minutes of your time is gone during your exam. Besides it then often does not dawn on you, when this is crucial, that 1/sqrt(3) is tan 30 or that sqrt(3)/2 is sin 60.

HSC
LOL trig identities...CALCULATOR =D=D and I agree carrotsticks... its too easy to get those mixed up! start from sin2+cos2 = 1!!

nightweaver066

HSC
Yes, I too agree.

For example, I have TERRIBLE memory and I can NEVER remember the Pythagorean Identities such as:

And when I need to use it, I just start with:

And depending on which identity I need, I divide by either sin squared or cos squared.
I remember that the term containing 'sec' is always on the LHS, and change the sec to a tan and you get the trig term on the RHS + 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)