integration by substitution (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
1673963655000.png
how do i apply the substitution here? no idea what to use for the u substitution

i tried to simplify the expression with trig identities but i'm not sure where to go next

thanks in advance

5uckerberg

HSC
View attachment 37467
how do i apply the substitution here? no idea what to use for the u substitution

i tried to simplify the expression with trig identities but i'm not sure where to go next

thanks in advance
Is this the first time you saw this question? If so then I understand why this question felt a bit difficult.

Here let us start.

Step 1:
Step 2:
Step 3:
Step 4: Let
Step 5:

gamja

HSC
View attachment 37467

thanks in advance
like 5uckerberg's correct answer, the general theory behind trig u-sub integration is:
  1. If there are all even powers of trig functions, e.g. , then convert everything into cos double angle form, factorise and work from there
  2. If there are one or more ODD powers of trig functions, e.g. , then we need to grab a sin or a cos as the f'(x) and use sin^x+cos^x=1 identity to make everything else be powers of one trig function, so our reverse chain rule works out.
Things get a little funkier with tan/sec integration but it's essentially the same as principle #2.

hope that kinda helps lol

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Without the formal process of substitution. Of course, if question asks you to use the method of substitution, then you must use the method.

Last edited:

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Is this the first time you saw this question? If so then I understand why this question felt a bit difficult.

Here let us start.

Step 1:
Step 2:
Step 3:
Step 4: Let
Step 5:
yea this was my first time, whoops. makes so much more sense to put in the substitution later, i was trying to do it at the beginning
thanks a lot!!

like 5uckerberg's correct answer, the general theory behind trig u-sub integration is:
  1. If there are all even powers of trig functions, e.g. , then convert everything into cos double angle form, factorise and work from there
  2. If there are one or more ODD powers of trig functions, e.g. , then we need to grab a sin or a cos as the f'(x) and use sin^x+cos^x=1 identity to make everything else be powers of one trig function, so our reverse chain rule works out.
Things get a little funkier with tan/sec integration but it's essentially the same as principle #2.

hope that kinda helps lol
this was very helpful, thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)