• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Integration is the worst topic (1 Viewer)

H

housemouse

Like already the first week in Prior for Integration i get all of these questions wrong which i thought was right. And the second week is getting worse. Its making me sad, everytime i try to do the homework, i cant even get the first question out.

Anyway, how would you integrate this:
x dx/ x- 2

P

pLuvia

Integration isn't hard just need to know when you use the methods

∫ x / (x- 2) dx
= ∫ (x-2)/(x-2)dx + ∫ 2/(x-2) dx
= x +2ln(x-2) + C

Split the fraction into 2, and then manipulate it so you can integrate it

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Integration is my favourite topic so far by far.....I can't do graphs and some of those parametric form Conics questions can get pretty iffy

Just keep trying and in the end you will get it
Pracice Makes perfect

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Conics looks much more evil than integration, and integration is much less annoying than complex numbers. Integration is really just playing around with algebra or trig to get things into a integrable shape. Once you've done a few, it gets much, much easier.

I_F

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Just do heaps of integration questions. Eventually, you'll reach a point where you can integrate anything thrown at you, and you'll know exactly which method to use.

P

pLuvia

I find graphs more annoying than integration and conics, but complex is also annoying. Polynomials isn't that hard either

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Graphs are fairly easy for me, some complex numbers questions can get quite tricky, conics is just alot of algebra and working.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I don't mind graphs, because in the exam it's almost always gift marks. "Here is a function. Draw the log of the function, 1 over the square root of the function, and the absolute value of the function".:D But complex numbers and conics... they're much more painful. :(

I_F

P

pLuvia

It's not that graphs are hard, I just hate drawing graph :p But yeh integration, complex numbers, graphs are just free marks in exams :D

Raginsheep

HSC
pLuvia said:
It's not that graphs are hard, I just hate drawing graph :p But yeh integration, complex numbers, graphs are just free marks in exams :D
Yes, theres too much work in picking up a ruler to rule correct lines and stuff! Algebra bashing is less bothersome.

H

housemouse

Yeah I thought curve sketching was a major pain until I actually did my first assessment (i got more marks in sketching then complex numbers.)

Ok so lets say you were to find the integral of something like

(x^2 - 4)^1/2 all over x.

WTF are you suppose to do????

_ShiFTy_

HSC
housemouse said:
Yeah I thought curve sketching was a major pain until I actually did my first assessment (i got more marks in sketching then complex numbers.)

Ok so lets say you were to find the integral of something like

(x^2 - 4)^1/2 all over x.

WTF are you suppose to do????
Let x = 2sec@
dx = 2sec@tan@d@

I =∫(4sec^2 @ - 4)^1/2 . 2sec@tan@d@
2sec@

=∫2tan@ . tan@

= 2∫sec^2 @ - 1

= 2[tan@ - @] + c

Put it back in terms of x, then ur done...

Last edited:

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
I have done complex numbers, conics, some of polynomials, Graphs and some of integration

But for some reason this year I just can't do graphs. I draw the axis, look at it and go......hmmmm for about 10 min then through my book away and do something else lol

But yeah dont like graphs, the rest of it wasnt too bad, Still got a fair few topics to go though, I wonder how I will feel at the end of the year

H

housemouse

ohhhhhhhhhhh so thats where trig substution comes in. I will have to go through trig again, so confusing

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I agree, sometimes the graphical method of solving algebraic equations or problems is the easier or more quick way of doing the question.
In relation to the topic of discussion, you could even draw a graph of the function to determine whether a definite integral exists or not, particularly when your graph shows asymptotes and discontinuities. It also helps with identifying the curve as an odd or even function.

felixcthecat

HSC
insert-username said:
Conics looks much more evil than integration, and integration is much less annoying than complex numbers. Integration is really just playing around with algebra or trig to get things into a integrable shape. Once you've done a few, it gets much, much easier.

I_F

i find complex numbers a lot easier lolz.. i havn't started conics so i wouldn't kno, but there's so many equations to remember for integrations (or methods), despite my teacher saying that anything should seem simple after complex numbers

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Ive only done complex, graphs, conics and some of integration which seems alright atm.

So far conics has been the hardest, because the questions are so abstract and it gets heaps messy meaning your algebra needs to be spot on; making it frustrating because of careless errors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)