• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Integration question (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
ngogiathuan said:
We sub x = atan u in, and in the end we sub tan u = (x/a) and sec = sqrt (x^2+a^2) /a in to get a function in term of x. We dont use arc function
the substitution x = asec u doesnt simplify the integral so i dont think that we can use it. Maybe its possible but i havent tried yet
You misunderstood. You'll need to use inverse sec to get back to a form in x at the end of the question. (I'm guessing).

Otherwise pretend I'm talking about a question which requires you to use inverse sec to get back to a function in x.

ngogiathuan

HSC
Slidey said:
You misunderstood. You'll need to use inverse sec to get back to a form in x at the end of the question. (I'm guessing).

Otherwise pretend I'm talking about a question which requires you to use inverse sec to get back to a function in x.
We let x = a tan u right, therefore x/a = tan u, and sec u = sqrt ( x^2 + a^2). Thats all. Once u get the function in sec u and tan u just sub these values in to get a function in x.
Yeah im still taking my time to comprehend ur post :D just because there are too many exponential and complex number so it looks kinda scareeeee :D
Well thanks a lot for ur replies:D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
ngogiathuan said:
We let x = a tan u right, therefore x/a = tan u, and sec u = sqrt ( x^2 + a^2). Thats all. Once u get the function in sec u and tan u just sub these values in to get a function in x.
Oh, yeah I'm fully aware of how to solve this integral. :)

Suppose you use the substitition x=tan(u) for some integral. Then you get an answer to an integral of something in the form ln(sec(u)) or somesuch. In order to get this back to a function in x, you need to use the inverse sec function. That's basically all I am saying. And because you use the inverse sec function, have you introduced some restrictions on what values x can take?

Last edited:

ngogiathuan

HSC
i understand what you're saying but in this case we dont need to use inverse sec function. For example, i have ln(sec u + tan u) right, i want to get back to x, so just sub in tan u = x/a and sec u = sqrt (x^2 + a^2/a) it becomes ln((x+sqrt(x^2+a^2))/a)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Oh! Very good. Sorry, I totally missed that.

I was noting how you also get that answer if you use inverse sec:
tan(u)=x/a
opposite side length x
adjacent length a
hypotenuse length = sqrt(x^2+a^2) (take positive root because length is positive)
cos(u)=a/sqrt(x^2+a^2)
sec(u)=sqrt(x^2+a^2)/a

Was your question why do we say the answer is ln((x+sqrt(x^2+a^2))/a) instead of ln((x-sqrt(x^2+a^2))/a)? Using inverse sec you can answer that by saying side lengths are always positive. Using your way however... not sure.

ngogiathuan

HSC
Slidey said:
Oh! Very good. Sorry, I totally missed that.

I was noting how you also get that answer if you use inverse sec:
tan(u)=x/a
opposite side length x
adjacent length a
hypotenuse length = sqrt(x^2+a^2) (take positive root because length is positive)
cos(u)=a/sqrt(x^2+a^2)
sec(u)=sqrt(x^2+a^2)/a

Was your question why do we say the answer is ln((x+sqrt(x^2+a^2))/a) instead of ln((x-sqrt(x^2+a^2))/a)? Using inverse sec you can answer that by saying side lengths are always positive. Using your way however... not sure.
Yep thats exactly right!!! :D
The only thing about this working is by letting u = an angle in a right-angled triangle, you already restricted u from 0 to pi/2, which is not the range satisfied the condition that x go from -infinity to +infinity
Like Affinity said, if u restrict u from -pi/2 to pi/2, sec u will definitely > 0, so u can take +ve square root without messing anything up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)