Integration Question (1 Viewer)

nrlwinner

HSC
Hi. I'm not sure how to do integration by substitution when one the substitution they give us is a square.

Eg.

Find

jet

Banned
HSC
NRL winner, is this an extension 1 or extension 2 question?

If only extension 1, you need to rearrange it like this:

Now I'm not sure who made a mistake; me or gurmies :p

xV1P3R

HSC
Gurmies forgot to sub dx = 2udu entirely; forgot to multiply by "u" when subbing in causing the denominator to be carried through.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I always miss out on answering these >_<. I could have done this one :p

And it looks like a harder 3U question or just the general 4U questions I've seen... <3 4U integration. ^_^

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Knowing implicit differentiation I reckon can help in 3U, especially if you get something nasty like that in this year's 3U HSC.

jet

Banned
HSC
Knowing implicit differentiation I reckon can help in 3U, especially if you get something nasty like that in this year's 3U HSC.
Yeah, but you have to be completely explicit that you are differentiating implicitly in 3 unit work. Even then, I wouldn't.

4 unit not so much.

Also, NRL winner, I avoided taking the square root of the substitution because it would introduce a ± into the equation. On second thought, I may have overlooked that when re-substituting back in :/

The Nomad

HSC
Just for kick's sake, no need for a substitution:

Yeah, but you have to be completely explicit that you are differentiating implicitly in 3 unit work. Even then, I wouldn't.

4 unit not so much.

Also, NRL winner, I avoided taking the square root of the substitution because it would introduce a ± into the equation. On second thought, I may have overlooked that when re-substituting back in :/
I don't think this is true. I did it all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)