Integration (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Can you repost it, if I can do part of it with my knowledge it would probably be realtively earlier.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Orange Council
umm, did someone give any thought to the question i posted up earlier?

when you hafta prove that one curve is higher than another curve, and then the question asks you to prove that the integral of one of the curves is more than a certain number but less than another.
Inequations and integration, i think the topic is.

where abouts in a paper would that appear?
Have you looked at 2002 HSC question 6 (b) (i think)?. That involved some integrals and inequalities.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
yes, 2002 HSC question 6 (b) is the type of questions i'm referring to.

so i think that answers my question. ^_^
its around question 6 in the paper.

ta clive

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Orange Council, those types of questions tend to be nearer the ends of papers, and here are a couple for people to think about:

1. Consider the graph of y = 1 / t, for t > 0.

(a) Use a diagram to show that int (from 1 to sqrt(x)) 1 / t dt < sqrt(x) for x > 1

(b) Hence, or otherwise, prove that lim<sub>x--> + inf</sub> (ln x) / x = 0

(c) Using appropriate substitutions to show that
(i) lim<sub>x-->0<sup>+</sup></sub> xln x = 0
(ii) lim<sub>x--> - inf</sub> xe<sup>x</sup> = 0

(d) By construct a similar proof to that found in (a) and (b), or otherwise, show that lim<sub>x-->0<sup>+</sup></sub> x<sup>a</sup>ln x = 0 for any real a > 0.

2. Draw a large diagram of y = ln x, and on it mark the points A(1, 0), B(2, ln 2), C(3, ln 3), D(4, ln 4), Y(n, ln n) and X((n - 1), ln(n - 1)), where n is an integer and n > 1. Join A to B, B to C, C to D and X to Y. By comparing areas, show that n! < e.n<sup>n+1/2</sup> / e<sup>n</sup> for integers n > 1

3. Draw a large diagram of y = x<sup>3</sup> for x => 0. Mark on the curve the points P<sub>1</sub>, P<sub>2</sub>, P<sub>3</sub>, ..., P<sub>n</sub>, where P<sub>k</sub> has x coordinate ka / n, given a is a positive constant. The feet of the perpendiculars from P<sub>1</sub>, P<sub>2</sub>, P<sub>3</sub>, ... P<sub>n</sub> to the x- and y- axes meet those axes at X<sub>1</sub>, X<sub>2</sub>, X<sub>3</sub>, ... X<sub>n</sub> and Y<sub>1</sub>, Y<sub>2</sub>, Y<sub>3</sub>, ... Y<sub>n</sub>, respectively. The points L<sub>1</sub>, L<sub>2</sub>, L<sub>3</sub>, ... L<sub>n-1</sub> are located such that L<sub>k</sub>, at ((k + 1)a / n, (ka / n)<sup>3</sup>), is the intersection of X<sub>k+1</sub>P<sub>k+1</sub> and Y<sub>k</sub>P<sub>k</sub> produced. The points U<sub>1</sub>, U<sub>2</sub>, U<sub>3</sub>, ... U<sub>n-1</sub> are located such that U<sub>k</sub> is at the intersection of X<sub>k</sub>P<sub>k</sub> produced and Y<sub>k+1</sub>P<sub>k+1</sub>. O is the origin.

(a) Draw a diagram to represent this information.

NOTE: For the rest of this question, you may use (without proof) the result 1<sup>3</sup> + 2<sup>3</sup> + 3<sup>3</sup> + ... + n<sup>3</sup> = n<sup>2</sup>(n + 1)<sup>2</sup> / 4

(b) Show that the sum of the areas of the lower rectangles shown in the diagram (the lower rectangles are X<sub>1</sub>X<sub>2</sub>L<sub>1</sub>P<sub>1</sub>, X<sub>2</sub>X<sub>3</sub>L<sub>2</sub>P<sub>2</sub>, ..., X<sub>n-1</sub>X<sub>n</sub>L<sub>n-1</sub>P<sub>n-1</sub>) is a<sup>4</sup>(n - 1)<sup>2</sup> / n<sup>2</sup>.

(c) Find an expression for the sum of the areas of the upper rectangles shown in the diagram (the upper rectangles are OX<sub>1</sub>P<sub>1</sub>Y<sub>1</sub>, X<sub>1</sub>X<sub>2</sub>P<sub>2</sub>U<sub>1</sub>, X<sub>2</sub>X<sub>3</sub>P<sub>3</sub>U<sub>2</sub>, ..., X<sub>n-1</sub>X<sub>n</sub>P<sub>n</sub>U<sub>n-1</sub>).

(c) Hence, show that (a<sup>4</sup> / 4) * (1 - 1 / n)<sup>2</sup> < int (from 0 to a) x<sup>3</sup> dx < (a<sup>4</sup> / 4) * (1 + 1 / n)<sup>2</sup>, and prove (without using integration) that int (from 0 to a) x<sup>3</sup> dx = a<sup>4</sup> / 4.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)