Integrations Volume Question Need Help! :( (1 Viewer)

kevinsta

HSC
Find the volume of the solid of
revolution formed if the area
enclosed between the curves
y=x^2 and y=(x-2)^2 is rotated
about the x-axis.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
there is no region bounded by these two parabolas, the correct way to refer the area is "enclosede by parabolas ... and ... and the x axis"
the solution is easy, split the region into two parts: 0 to 1, and 1 to 2. integrate respectively and add up.

kevinsta

HSC
there is no region bounded by these two parabolas, the correct way to refer the area is "enclosede by parabolas ... and ... and the x axis"
the solution is easy, split the region into two parts: 0 to 1, and 1 to 2. integrate respectively and add up.
I keep getting the wrong answer tho. My algebra is clearly wrong can you perhaps show me?

Silly Sausage

HSC
Recall
You can integrate separately for the corresponding areas by letting:

Last edited:

kevinsta

HSC
oh yeah remember how for volume it's pi outside so times the ans by pi
but why only 2 pi/3 lol?
My friend did it he basically just integrated y^2=x^4 and multiplied it by 2.... which makes sense when you draw the graph but like... :(

HSC
My friend did it he basically just integrated y^2=x^4 and multiplied it by 2.... which makes sense when you draw the graph but like... :(
ahhh symmetrical, which is funny because I actually posted the diagram. Dammit, but wouldn't there be more than just that method?
ok that's solved

kevinsta

HSC
ahhh symmetrical, which is funny because I actually posted the diagram. Dammit, but wouldn't there be more than just that method?
ok that's solved
Yea I know I want to learn the algebraically method that always works, because usually they aren't symmetrical and I don't want to repeat the same mistake.

kevinsta

HSC
most of the time I sketch but omg when I do a mistake in the diagram, I'm doomed
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I hate drawing graphs TBH I suck at drawing :( Teacher tells me off when I don't draw graphs and im like IT DON'T TELL ME TO DRAW GRAPHS PLEASE... haven't met alot of people that actually use the word "doomed" like myself

HSC
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL I hate drawing graphs TBH I suck at drawing :( Teacher tells me off when I don't draw graphs and im like IT DON'T TELL ME TO DRAW GRAPHS PLEASE... haven't met alot of people that actually use the word "doomed" like myself
Yes, doomed is a word used when I exaggerate a lot. My teacher likes a sketch no matter how messy because he can't draw too. Btw, you doing hsc this year?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)