Intel to buy out NVIDIA (1 Viewer)

polymorph

HSC
It might just be me, but this massive split in the hardware industry is starting to look more and more like the cold war... it's just going to end up with AMD vs Intel in the end.

Collin

HSC
N/A
What's the point of buying NVIDIA?

They bring NOTHING to the table Intel isn't already working on or already has the capacity to do.. for the price. The company is expensive, and the CEO of NVIDIA has personally expressed his stern opposition to an acquisition. Plus two days ago they announced a partnership.. seems more plausible than a takeover atleast.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Collin said:
What's the point of buying NVIDIA?

They bring NOTHING to the table Intel isn't already working on or already has the capacity to do.. for the price. The company is expensive, and the CEO of NVIDIA has personally expressed his stern opposition to an acquisition. Plus two days ago they announced a partnership.. seems more plausible than a takeover atleast.
Cause it takes them one step closer to a monopoly.

Collin

HSC
N/A
So? They are ALREADY a monopoly and as such there is a good chance the U.S government will shoot down a merger thanks to it's anti-trust laws. Also like I already said, it's about PRICE. The green guys don't bring enough benefits to Intel for the asking price. What on Earth can NVIDIA to Intel's core businesses to justify $10bUSD?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Collin said:
So? They are ALREADY a monopoly and as such there is a good chance the U.S government will shoot down a merger thanks to it's anti-trust laws. Also like I already said, it's about PRICE. The green guys don't bring enough benefits to Intel for the asking price. What on Earth can NVIDIA to Intel's core businesses to justify $10bUSD?
Having a dedicated graphics card company is a huge advantage to any company. Video cards make out BILLIONS of dollars in profit, and Nvidia and ATi reap these kinds of profits. People regularly update graphics cards, people dont update CPU's regularly. Having a graphic card company is very, very beneficial.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't think it'd change the pick/parts environment of the x86 market either way, unless they started to implant decent integrated graphics into stock motherboards?

dartm2

HSC
Think about it, how many times have you seen "runs best on...." or "Play it on a....." Doom 3 and half life 2 come to mind, optimised games for a particular brand.
What if AMD made ati 'optimise' for their hardware, or if they went and bought some of Nvidia. Since AMD has a graphic's card company i think Intel wont want to be at a disadvantage so they look at buying one two..... Unfortunately they dont have much choice.

I don't think they are looking to buy it to make money solely on its direct profits. Thats just the way i see it anyway.

Collin

HSC
N/A
S1M0 said:
Having a dedicated graphics card company is a huge advantage to any company. Video cards make out BILLIONS of dollars in profit, and Nvidia and ATi reap these kinds of profits. People regularly update graphics cards, people dont update CPU's regularly. Having a graphic card company is very, very beneficial.
There's still obviously people who didn't get my point. What benefit can NVIDIA bring to Intel to be worth $10b USD? The point you mention about ATi and NVIDIA reaping considerable profits bodes a fatal flaw for your own argument - that is, the specific areas in which the most profits occur are areas Intel don't need too much help with, like chipsets, the mobile market and integrated graphics.

On the other hand, ATi was a bargain because they also had those capabilities which AMD lacked completely, unlike Intel, and also costed ALOT less. The situation of AMD buying ATI is different to Intel buying NVIDIA. AMD buying ATI = ability to immediately be competitive in new markets (at a bargain asking price) & arguably necessary for long-term survival in the industry. Intel buying NVIDIA = expensive and unnecessary since most of the areas NVIDIA makes their money from, Intel already had reasonable ability in. Alot of people seem to think it would be of great advantage for Intel to buy NVIDIA so they could say, sell some low-customer-base 7950GX2s.

pete_mate

HSC
yeah, intel is already the worlds largest maker of gfx cards.

thanks to shitty intel gma (or whatever) integrated graphics cards being prevalent.

especially in low-end dell-type pc's that sell to consumers who've never heard of a graphics card before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)