Intelligent design to be taught in Queensland schools under national curriculum (1 Viewer)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
How is it taught under the national curriculum yet only in Queensland?

Urg, I don't think intelligent design should be taught at all in schools. Religion should not be allowed at secular public schools. If you want to learn this stuff, go to a religious school.
Yeah man fuck letting kids learn about religion in a secularist way that's just crazy. Let kids only get the most biased forms of teaching if they want to learn about something.

Are you honestly that dumb?

Garygaz

HSC
i don't understand

how would the text book work? would it be like 10 pages, pretty much stating god created everything, he did it in 10 days.

the exam:

q1: who created everything?

ans: god (correct 2 marks)

q2: how did he do this?

ans: we are too feeble to try and understand his methods (correct 2 marks)

100% congratulations you passed, kid

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It sounds more like they're encouraging debate than 'teaching creationism', which implies indoctrination. It's OK for kids to learn about peoples' different opinions, as long as they're shown the evidence to support these opinions.

Hopefully what will happen is the creationists will get smashed because they have absolutely no evidence to support their claims.

I remember our biology textbook talked about the creation of life as we know it, and they had one page that had things like creationism, ancient greek ideas and aboriginal ideas, and then the whole rest of the chapter was about Darwin and evolution. So yes we learned about creationism, but we sure as hell weren't encouraged to support it.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
It sounds more like they're encouraging debate than 'teaching creationism', which implies indoctrination. It's OK for kids to learn about peoples' different opinions, as long as they're shown the evidence to support these opinions.

Hopefully what will happen is the creationists will get smashed because they have absolutely no evidence to support their claims.

I remember our biology textbook talked about the creation of life as we know it, and they had one page that had things like creationism, ancient greek ideas and aboriginal ideas, and then the whole rest of the chapter was about Darwin and evolution. So yes we learned about creationism, but we sure as hell weren't encouraged to support it.
That's right, the trouble is just that people might get the impression this is an active debate with two sides to the argument. It's not - ID/creo is a well funded propaganda campaign.

It's interesting that "Darwin's critics" could be broadly separated into two categories, the opposition to his ideas during his lifetime, and the evangelist nuts of today. The article doesn't really make it clear which of these the kids would learn about. The former is already covered in the NSW bio syllabus, e.g. the Huxley v. Wilberforce debate, and also students are to look at how differences in culture might affect how they accept different ideas.

The opposition to Darwin in his time was justified because it was such a staggeringly new idea and completely overhauled how we think about life, plus the only evidence at that time was his and Wallace's own observations, they didn't know about DNA, etc.

In fact his opponents in 1859 actually had a far more sophisticated theology than today's creationists, they were smart guys and part of their time.

I can't see any justification for talking about today's creotards, other than systematically debunking their crap as an exercise in critical thinking; but it takes too long to explain what their ideas are, and then go through why they're wrong, and the kids would probably get confused. For me it's not worth the risk that anyone come away thinking there's any valid science behind ID, and especially not that there's a controversy or debate within scientific communities.

Elliot220

HSC
Absolute disgrace, another indicator of the downfall of western civilisation
Y'know a growth in Atheism is a sign of a civilisation in decline?

Not saying I agree with the education reform; just thought I'd point that out.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Relax guys. They're just teaching it in ancient history under controversies.

Not in science as an legitimate theory. If anything it will be good to stimulate some discussion about the topic.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Relax guys. They're just teaching it in ancient history under controversies.

Not in science as an legitimate theory. If anything it will be good to stimulate some discussion about the topic.

mmm I have no problem with students learning about intelligent design like that. It's good for them to learn how to argue, to learn that you need solid evidence to support a claim, to assess the reliability of sources and evidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)