Inter-racial Dating (1 Viewer)

mastermind666

HSC
I am all for inter-racial dating and marriages, as I believe that they are highly beneficial to global society, not to mention the biological advantage the kids get!

However, my parents and some of their friends (my mum especially, she's really fierce about it) would have a heart attack if I even considered marrying anyone who is of a different nationality.

Example conversation:

Mum: "You must only marry a person of the same nationality as you."
Me: "But why? Isn't that a bit racist to think that way?"
Mum: "I don't want white people. I don't want Chinese or Viet people. I don't want europeans in my family...etc."

Do you guys have parents like that?

mastermind666

HSC
Sri Lankan, actually.
She wouldn't accept Indians either. Only Sri Lankans.
It's so narrow-minded!

Last edited:

assiduous

HSC
this is totally corny but
LOVE IS BLIND
i dont think a third party (family,friends) or even individuals can choose who they fall in love with....
Love encompasses all cultures and religions, so yeah go interracial relationships;)

i think its quite clear that i am a chick...:pirate:
An Asian Chick.

oops sorry.
sri lankan, so ur asian./

Last edited:

chantal_3

HSC
N/A
and am I right in saying that homosexuality is illegal in sri lanka?
i dont know about the legal status of homosexuality in sri lanka but it is definitely illegal in sri lankan society
eg say i am a female australian with srilankan heritage, due to my background hatred of 'the gay' if i have sexy time or a laison with a other female (regardless of race and religion) i would be INSTANTLY SHUNNED!

mastermind666

HSC
i dont know about the legal status of homosexuality in sri lanka but it is definitely illegal in sri lankan society
eg say i am a female australian with srilankan heritage, due to my background hatred of 'the gay' if i have sexy time or a laison with a other female (regardless of race and religion) i would be INSTANTLY SHUNNED!
in other words, it's taboo

yeah, in my family inter-racial alliances are taboo.
even tamils are not permitted that's how narrow it is

HSC
LOL

but on that note does an individuals ethnicity shape who they are when most of them part of secular australian society?
Yes, ethnicity is 'everything' in a sense. Major factor. Of course we don't want divisions or discrimination etc but ethnicity will play a major role with most people. You want to be with someone who upholds the same values, traditions, speaks the same language (if you speak another), eats the same food, has similar family etc etc etc etc etc etc list is endless.

You connect moar I guess.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
i would never go out with a stereotypical wog/lebbo (you know what I mean), an asian, indian, middle eastern person

lol im so racist lol

mastermind666

HSC
You want to be with someone who upholds the same values, traditions, speaks the same language (if you speak another), eats the same food, has similar family etc etc etc etc etc etc list is endless.

You connect moar I guess.
You have a point, but your argument is not as effective when we consider people if two different cultures brought up in a third country (eg. Australia). In their upbringing, the values and traditions these people hold are influenced by both their family (the native culture) and their peers at school and at university (the Australian culture). So people of different ethnicities brought up in Australia would have sufficiently enough in common in terms of values, traditions and language and other things. I talk about these people as in context, this is where our problem lies.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
You have a point, but your argument is not as effective when we consider people if two different cultures brought up in a third country (eg. Australia). In their upbringing, the values and traditions these people hold are influenced by both their family (the native culture) and their peers at school and at university (the Australian culture). So people of different ethnicities brought up in Australia would have sufficiently enough in common in terms of values, traditions and language and other things. I talk about these people as in context, this is where our problem lies.
I'm always under the impression that Sri Lankans have more flexibility in terms of who they date as opposed to Indians in particular?

HSC
Well, you'll still notice with a lot of cultures that people don't venture out too often.
Wouldn't you think that being exposed to a largely heterogenous society sometimes makes you want to establish familiar grounds...and one way is having a rship with somebody from your own ethnicity? To maintain those customs, to uphold the same values etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)