interesting artists (1 Viewer)

i just wanted a broader knowledge of which artists everyone is learning about. (contemporary) who are ... welll interesting
my list goes as follows:
gordon bennett ( the outsider)-political.
andy goldsworthy -earthworks
ermm yeah pretty short list. we studied kollwitz and gilbert and george but i think most people have studied them.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
livingdeadgirl-- if you're interested in andy goldsworthy, make sure you look up stuff by other land artists such as richard long, david nash, hamish fulton and chris drury. all pretty cool artists with worth looking into.

artists i was particularly interested in in year 12: damien hirst, marc quinn, tracy emin, martin creed, andres serrano, racheal whitread, mark rothko, ben frost, mark wallinger, ... can't think of anyone else at the moment... most of those artists (except rothko) are pretty postmodern/have been working within the last 10-20 years and most still are. alot of them are associated with the new british art movement too.

Nose Bleed

ex-loser
HSC
N/A
hehe quote from my half yearly art essay, "Such as we can see from the art of Michael mcarthy, who painted a similar work named "Crocodiles on trains"."

i vowed it to be the last time i make things up in exams... can't believe the teacher didn't pick it up

Fake_Plastic

Has anyone heard of Patricia Piccinini? Shes an Australian artist...wow...I really like her..she makes sculptures. Anyway, heres one of her works.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
yeah, i went to an exhibition of hers last year. really nice stuff, very diverse. did you see her 'car nuggets' series? i really liked that. :)

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fake_Plastic
Has anyone heard of Patricia Piccinini? Shes an Australian artist...wow...I really like her..she makes sculptures. Anyway, heres one of her works.
she is a brilliant artist! actual talent, as opposed to tracy emin...

craz

HSC
I actually am interested in all artists. Particularly, my favourites are Mark Rothko, Damien Hurst, Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol, but for the HSC I have to know a whole list of people...the list goes on but at least it doesn't take so long!(i.e. 1.5 hours) These Artists really are interesting to read about.

manda

check out mike parr aswell...we are relating him emin and piccinini together. also another good link is gascoigne and jean dubuffet. theyre some that we have used. piccinini is awesomme! and mike parr works heaps well with her cause hes a performance artist who uses his body as his canvas and that relates with piccinini and hre whole biological ideas and works...

trinity

yeh mike parr--have u seen the one where he sat in an art gallery with a nail through his arm? Quite strange... oh and that other one where he like stitched his face together? :O

Universal

HSC
N/A
Barbara Kruger is My personal Favourite. She's a pretty interesting woman with some fantastic works. A bit out there...plays with text and such. Cindy Sherman is also amazing.. although her works are somewhat disturbing.
Did anyone see the Biennale? If you did... Suzanne Triester is another great example of a post modern artist.
Other than that we have studied the usual...
Van Gogh
Gordan Bennett
Andy Goldsworthy
Christo
Rosalie Gascoigne
Hieronymous Bosch
James Gleeson
and countless others...

james gleeson is very very nice. i thought his expo @ agnsw was supberb
my face was like inches away from his works lol

Fake_Plastic

Yeah! Mike Parr! I like the one where he chops off his arm with an axe!!!!! Does anyone know a website with anything about him?? I can't find ANYTHING. Email me if you have any info or any other artists like him?
That reminds me of Joseph Buys I think his name is?? The one who made the felt suit, and also did the act with the dead rabbit...(sorry, I can't remember exactly...)

B1

ehey are all these like "po mo" coz im rather into impressionists like monet..his "bridge over pool of water lilies" (what a name) is my absolute favourite artwork ever.he is fantastic.

craz

HSC
b1 u must be conservative! hahhhehehe..lol. sorry - no offence. i like all artists although i admit artists like monet, cezanne etc. are not as interesting as others like mike parr, warhol, rothko etc. im more of a modern art person...

still ill

piccinni is great- i loved her car nuggets too

Yves Klein and Stanley Donwood are the two artists getting me hyper at the moment.
Yves Klein was such an interesting bloke, black belt in judo and a brilliant minimalist, what more could you want?

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
Hey there
Depends what you find interesting lol
Andy Goldsworthy is my favourite artist
Other good ones to mention are
Pollock
Van Gogh
Warhol
Whitley

But they are all pretty similar, except maybe Van Gogh, because they all died alcohol/drug related deaths (i think) - and we know a certain artist who had a chop at his own ear. So maybe they arent interesting cause they fit a 'crazy, drug-abusing but genius artist' stereotype. Maybe find some artists who are 'clean', no drugs/booze/meat lol.

This wasnt serious, not really, but Goldsworthy is good
and
Dali
Smithson
Stelarc

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
i didn't do arts, however i have a lonterm gf who did and did well. we also travelly europe last year where she did 6 years of art in 3 hours of the louve. i then insisted we see as many galleries in spain and italy, etc. as possible. i actually really love art now :D
if this helps, i think kandinsky is awsome!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Hundertwasser
Bill Viola
Magritte
Mariko Mori
Julia Margaret Cameron
Stelarc (weirdest laugh)

Armic

HSC
We are learning about;

Yasumasu Morimura (Cross-dressing perfomance artist)

Ron Mueck (Guy who makes laytex figures that defy scale)

Piccinni (Car Nuggets, etc...)

Orlan (Plastic Surgery woman, wanted to be 'ideal' so she took eyebrows from the Mona Lisa... etc and now she looks all abstract and definately not the 'ideal' woman)

Walter De Maria (Lightning Field artwork)

Barbara kruger + Cindy Sherman + Judy Chicago (Feminist Art Trio)

Joseph Beuys (Creepy, especially with the artwork, How to Explain Paintings to a Dead Hare. He basically sits on a stool holding a dead rabbit in his arms. I think he covered his head in honey..)

Mike Parr (He's a famous Australian artist and very expressionistic. In his Cathartic Action performance piece he hacked off a fake arm scaring his audience when a steak popped out...)

William Kentridge (Tide Table, everyones probably heard of him)

William Yang (Australian photographer who document his friends dying of AIDs)

Maria Fernanda Cardoso (This one is freaky, she glued fleas to wire and made them act out a "Flea Circus". She would feed the fleas each day by sticking her arm into a plastic box. I don't like fleas but what she did was cruel...)

Janine Antoni (One of my favourites, we are studing her Lick and Lather artwork)

I forgot the rest...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)