Interesting HSC stories (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Good on him. :gridnod:

It was meant to be a creative writing piece, after all. The final mark seemed to be slightly lacking.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
The final mark seems to contribute towards a conspiracy theory to sqelch opinions contrary to government stance) towards the refugees, and those containing anti-authoritarian stances. :rolleyes:
Lobby for them to post the story and let the public decide whether it is 'offensive' and 'non-serious'. ;):p:D

timmii

sporadic attendee
I was so shocked when i read that! I didn't realise they had that kind of mechanism in place. Also "revenge tragedy" was the module - what did they expect? Happy fairytales? I think he deserves points for being able to contemporise such a genre - doesn't that just fit their emphasis on appropriations, intertextuality, postmodernism etc???

Furthermore, it would have been maybe 16 pages long, you'd think that the extraordinarily fainthearted english teacher/s would have been able manage reading it for that long, considering that someone's future was riding on it!

I'm also fascinated that they were able to mark it that late...subject toppers were out on monday and the hsc results were on the net by tuesday (my page said updated last tuesday 17 december 2002).

have to say
i admire his courage and bravery
my parents would've killed me
well they still killing me now, but i would've died a lot uglier.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Man, he should have written about a disgruntled student fantasising about killing Mr Cooney. Would have had a truly funny outcome. ;)

MiKeY

HSC
I wrote similarly in my Portuguese Extended Response question.

Exept it wasn't about any political issues.

I wrote about killing my mum and brother because I was jealous of him (brother).
There was a lot of detail and blood and gore.

I got a crap mark.
So yeh, I'll keep that in mind when I do the rest of my HSC next year. (I was accelerated in that subject this year)

MiKeY

HSC
Originally posted by MiKeY
I wrote similarly in my Portuguese Extended Response question.

Exept it wasn't about any political issues.

I wrote about killing my mum and brother because I was jealous of him (brother).
There was a lot of detail and blood and gore.

I got a crap mark.
So yeh, I'll keep that in mind when I do the rest of my HSC next year. (I was accelerated in that subject this year)
The answer was all made up btw.. lol :)
I wuv my mother and brother.. hehe
:)

gl

HSC
Possible reason for mark being lower than expected:

Boy does not have all that much talent. Boy tries to mask this by way of an outrageous story. When paper is finally marked, marker sees through poor go at hiding a poor story, and marks accordingly...

just a thought

MiKeY

HSC
Fair enough :)

I never said I had talent or was a heaps good student.

In all my assessments I had done much better than my HSC exam mark.

Maybe I just stuffed it up.
Maybe I got a lower mark because of what I wrote in the last question.

Who knows? Who cares? - I got into Cosmology with the mark I got and that's all I care about.

The only point of writing that post was to let others know that you might (emphasise MIGHT) get a slightly lower mark if you write stuff the marker might have personal objections to.

*shrug*

HSC
I wrote about this Palestinian guy that sees most of his family "accidentally" killed by the Israeli army... and then he joins the fundamentalist group "Islamic Jihad" and commits a suicide bombing....

I was pretty proud of it... and I got a relatively good mark for it, 40/50 for the exam... even though it was somewhat "controversial"...

Although at the end of the story I wrote something on the lines of "I don't not condone terrorism in any shape or form, I was merely exploring the motivations of such people...blah blah blah"...

So I guess you can still get a good mark if you do something "controversial"...

MiKeY

HSC
Nope, I haven't yet.

Sandra Sleeman ( I think her name is ) said I was going to get them before Christmas.

So I should be getting them Monday or Tuesday.

And here I was thinking I'd have a nice long holiday. lol

Oh and the Distinction Course website says that Philosophy students receive their packs in Mid-January... so you might have to wait longer, which sucks.

MiKeY

HSC
LoL..

I sooo didn't think I'd get in aswell.
At the information day I saw all those *very* smart looking people and me and my friend were like, 'OK, we're not getting in'

And then we both got in (She's doing Philosophy too:))

The website is
www.distinction.nsw.edu.au

Congrats on making it in btw.
What subject did you do accelerated?

gl

HSC
sorry, i wasn't talking about u i was talking about the guy in the paper...

MiKeY

HSC
Lol...

Which girls are you talking about?

Nah, I went to the Cosmology talk first, then Philosophy second.

I met 3 girls that went to that school who were prospective students.. is that who you're talking about? .. lol.. Are do you mean Alumni students who graduated?

I'm all interested now.. :p

1 more

fructis
HSC
Thanks for hijacking my thread! Good luck for next year though, with cosmology and everything else.

5_State_Drive

Todd Ellem, 17, from Kyogle High on the far north coast, was told in a letter on Monday that his sexually charged drama monologue - for which he was marked highly - was "not suitable for a general audience" in a showcase of HSC works to be staged in February. It dealt with the moral issues of a man having sex with an underage girl.
Im suprised nobody's mentioned anything about this guy because i reckon what he wrote should be more controversial than the first guy. I mean, all guys like writing about death and violence etc in their stories, but a man having sex with an underage girl is just something that most people wouldn't dare or even want to write about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)