interior design (1 Viewer)

rudi_hickman

Hey anyone here starting interior design this year or already a student? Does anyone know if the course is largely female dominated? It doesn't look like my timetable is too hectic, i guess there will just be heaps of projects right?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
my friend is in 2nd year interior design this year and she said that there's mostly chicks and about 5/6 guys out of ~60 people.

yeah there's heaps of design projects but there are no exams at all, ever.

fridayblack

HSC
how about job opportunities after you graduate?
good or bad?

also, how is the average salary for interior designers?

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
im currently doing graphics + design
and want to change to interior design

is there anyone that has done interior design, can they tell me a abit about it!
how much work load there is?

arghhh i so dont know what i wanna do with myself!

juni

juni
HSC
MzbLaZeIT said:
im currently doing graphics + design
and want to change to interior design

is there anyone that has done interior design, can they tell me a abit about it!
how much work load there is?

arghhh i so dont know what i wanna do with myself!
hmmm work load wise.......
well, i finished uni this week,(14th wk, so one extra week overtime) but people in interior (first year only) has assignments due way over the regular 13 wk uni period and even more major projects due next week. Pretty much every design course at UTS is demanding in their own rights. It's really common to hear people go 'oh i only got 3 hrs of sleep,' 'i only got 25 minutes or something.' 'i haven't slept at all and i'm still awake.'

Just think about your art classes. (or any subjects with major works)
you would of definately stayed at school over the regular 3:20pm . . probably into the evening.. possibly into night....

because, uts design does not have 'exams' every subject will be purely based on assignments after assignments, and obviously assignments are harder to 'fluke' and it involves commitment and dedication to do well.. lol... so.. to conclude, it's very demanding......

poppop

HSC
N/A
i went to the Open Day last year (will go again this year :)) and Interior design sounded really nice.

It's not at all about interior 'decorating' as some people may be confused about, but it is more about designing the interior architecture. Apparently architects no longer design the interiors as they used to and now it became a separate occupation on its own, hence Interior Design. The UTS degree sounded fantastic, same goes for their other Bachelor of Design degrees.. :) Work load wise, it is going to be ALOT. (My sister is doing it and its so common for her to get no sleep at all from doing her assignments lol)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
But then how else would she bump her post count up and demonstrate to random internet people that she's all mature now since she lost her virginity at schoolies. Sometimes you DO NOT THINK.

poppop

HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
But then how else would she bump her post count up and demonstrate to random internet people that she's all mature now since she lost her virginity at schoolies. Sometimes you DO NOT THINK.
perhaps i'm just as bored as you.:eek:

muscleman09

HSC
LMAO

i was just reading through this thread, and i asked my dad, "Whats interior design like?"

Dad replies, "My sons not gay, is he?"

im like.... wow. But seriously, is interior design stereotyped at a girls job? and why?

lucille227

HSC
I currently a year 12 student and very interested in the interior design course at UTS!
if i do design and technology and textiles and design...will that offer extra marks?
Also does anyone know the UAI for the course next year?

w_design

HSC
I currently a year 12 student and very interested in the interior design course at UTS!
if i do design and technology and textiles and design...will that offer extra marks?
Also does anyone know the UAI for the course next year?
I dont think anyone can predict the UAI/ATAR cut off for next year, as it would be a matter of guessing and predicting about the future.

However the cut off for this year is apparently 91.45 for the 4 years single degree in interior design and 99.9 for the combined interior design with international studies.

The best bet according to UTS admin is that, you just put the course in at the top of your 9 preferences regardless and see if you get in or not.

interiordesignr

HSC
N/A
From what I know, interior designers earn around $48,000 annually, which is not bad in my opinion. Interior designers are predominantly female - it's true. But there's really nothing girly about math, a branch of study in interior design. NOTHING.

juni

juni
HSC
From what I know, interior designers earn around $48,000 annually, which is not bad in my opinion. Interior designers are predominantly female - it's true. But there's really nothing girly about math, a branch of study in interior design. NOTHING.
Maths really? I have friends in interior design, it's still pretty general maths isn't it?
However I also second that interior design is not a 'girly' choice. I think many mistake interior decoration with design. The two are different occupations that require different qualifications.
Interior decoration is the one that deals predominantly with choosing wall colours and 'feng shui' furniture placing.
My friends in interior design do not bother with any of that...
I remember a great quote that summarises the difference between decoration and design perfectly.
Interior decorators are make up artists who paint on the surface of the canvas, as opposed to interior designers who are plastic surgeons, that are qualified to give re-constructions to the space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)