Internal and external marks question (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Let's say I'm in a class of two people and the other person doesn't come to class and doesn't do assignments/tests, so he's basically failing. I get an internal mark of say 60 and then I get an 80 for my HSC exam, will my final mark be 80 since I'm coming first internally? Also if you can provide any Board of Studies sites that say this please do.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Let's say I'm in a class of two people and the other person doesn't come to class and doesn't do assignments/tests, so he's basically failing. I get an external mark of say 60 and then I get an 80 for my HSC exam, will my final mark be 80 since I'm coming first internally? Also if you can provide any Board of Studies sites that say this please do.
Yes, that's correct.

"The top assessment mark is adjusted to equal to the highest examination mark obtained by any student in the group." (Source: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html )

Therefore, if you're first internally and come first externally and get a mark of X out of 100 externally, your internal mark will be adjusted to X, and your external mark always stays the same, so your final HSC mark would be the average of your internal and external, which is just X (= (X + X)/2).

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yes, that's correct.

"The top assessment mark is adjusted to equal to the highest examination mark obtained by any student in the group." (Source: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html )

Therefore, if you're first internally and come first externally and get a mark of X out of 100 externally, your internal mark will be adjusted to X, and your external mark always stays the same, so your final HSC mark would be the average of your internal and external, which is just X (= (X + X)/2).
If the internal mark is adjusted to the external mark, how can you still find the average if their equal?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Because if my internal mark is 60 and gets adjusted to equal my external so 80, average of 80 and 80 is 80, so why do they average?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Because if my internal mark is 60 and gets adjusted to equal my external so 80, average of 80 and 80 is 80, so why do they average?
Not sure what you mean. They always average; in this case, the averaging process results in a final mark equal to the internal and external marks, since the average of two equal numbers is just that number.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Not sure what you mean. They always average; in this case, the averaging process results in a final mark equal to the internal and external marks, since the average of two equal numbers is just that number.
See how the top assessment mark is adjusted to equal the highest examination mark? If my assessment mark is 60 and my highest examination mark is 80, won't my assessment mark be adjusted to equal the highest examination mark? So my assessment mark will be 80 instead of 60. So now my internal and external marks equal 80, so how can you average the internal and external mark when they're the same?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
This is from the website "The final HSC mark is the average of the reported examination mark and moderated Assessment Mark.", so if my examination mark is 80, what is my moderated assesment mark? Isn't it 80 since the internal mark is equal to the external mark?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
To average any two numbers you add the two numbers together and then divide the total by 2.

So to average an internally moderated mark of 80 and an external exam mark of 80 you would: 80+80 which = 160. The next step is to divide 160 by 2 (as there were two numbers added together) and the answer to that division is 80.

Therefore the final mark would be 80 - the average of the internally moderated mark of 80 and the external exam mark of 80.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
To average any two numbers you add the two numbers together and then divide the total by 2.

So to average an internally moderated mark of 80 and an external exam mark of 80 you would: 80+80 which = 160. The next step is to divide 160 by 2 (as there were two numbers added together) and the answer to that division is 80.

Therefore the final mark would be 80 - the average of the internally moderated mark of 80 and the external exam mark of 80.
But why would they average the moderated assessment mark which will be equal to the hsc examination mark when they're both the same?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
But why would they average the moderated assessment mark which will be equal to the hsc examination mark when they're both the same?
Well what do you think they'd do, add them together and give 160/100? They average everyone's internal and external marks because that's the procedure they decided to use.

Imagine a teacher with a whole bunch of students' marks for two assessments on an Excel spreadsheet for example. To find the students' average marks, the teacher would just apply a formula to the cells to create a column that calculates each student's average. The teacher isn't going to go through looking at every student's individual marks and calculate the average himself or herself. So if a student happens to have the same marks for both assessments (in which case the average will just be that mark), it's irrelevant.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Well what do you think they'd do, add them together and give 160/100? They average everyone's internal and external marks because that's the procedure they decided to use.

Imagine a teacher with a whole bunch of students' marks for two assessments on an Excel spreadsheet for example. To find the students' average marks, the teacher would just apply a formula to the cells to create a column that calculates each student's average. The teacher isn't going to go through looking at every student's individual marks and calculate the average himself or herself. So if a student happens to have the same marks for both assessments (in which case the average will just be that mark), it's irrelevant.
Ah okay, but my final mark would be 80 right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)