Internal and External Marks (1 Viewer)

Nahcal

HSC
Hi all :)

I was wondering about how your internal rank affects your external mark?? I have read most the information about it but am still a bit confused. The main thing I am wondering about is for example, if I came 3rd in internals but 1st in externals (for my cohort), would I get the mark that the 3rd ranked person got (because I was ranked 3rd in internals)???

That is how I understood the information (probs wildly incorrect). Any feedback is appreciated :)
Thanks!! :thrust:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hi all :)

I was wondering about how your internal rank affects your external mark?? I have read most the information about it but am still a bit confused. The main thing I am wondering about is for example, if I came 3rd in internals but 1st in externals (for my cohort), would I get the mark that the 3rd ranked person got (because I was ranked 3rd in internals)???

That is how I understood the information (probs wildly incorrect). Any feedback is appreciated :)
Thanks!! :thrust:
No, that's not how it works. But the person who came first internally would get the highest external mark as their internal.

Nahcal

HSC
Oh ok thanks. I did some more reading and I think I got it now :)

Nahcal

HSC
Thanks guys, I just have one last question.
Here's an example.
Internals - 1st in rank with mark of 93.
Externals (HSC exam) - 1st in rank with mark of 97.
Does this mean that the person automatically gets a HSC mark of 97 for that subject as their internal mark is boosted up to the 97, even though they have an assessment mark that is lower?

Please god let my understanding be true.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Here's an example.
Does this mean that the person automatically gets a HSC mark of 97 for that subject as their internal mark is boosted up to the 97, even though they have an assessment mark that is lower?

no.. Your HSC mark would be 95.

D94

HSC
N/A
Here's an example.

If that is the same person getting 93 and 97 and they are both the highest marks, then yes, their exam mark is 97 and their assessment mark will be moderated to 97, giving a final mark of 97.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Say you come third in assessment marks with an average of 85%. The rank one gets 90% in assessment marks. You are approximately 5.5% behind the rank one (5/90). In the final exam if the highest mark is 95, you get 95- (95x0.055) as your internal mark, which rounds to 90. So your internal mark is 90.

Then take whatever score you got, let that be x.

(x + 90) / 2 = your score. This rounds up. So if you got 93 externally, for example. (93+90) / 2 = 91.5
Your overall mark would be 92.

Thusly, its not the ranks so much as the increments that are important. If you came 100th in the course but were only 1% behind rank 1 in assessment marks, it means nothing really. And being 2nd by 10%, is a very big detriment as well. I hope I cleared up your questions.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
If you are ranked first internally and externally, then your overall HSC mark will just be equal to whatever your external mark (examination mark) is. (Ignoring any complicating factors like being equal first or something.) More generally, if you're ranked (outright) first internally, your assessment mark will become whatever your cohort's highest examination mark turns out to be.

So if you rank first internally, your internal mark (from school assessments) itself becomes essentially irrelevant for you.

Last edited:

Nahcal

HSC
If that is the same person getting 93 and 97 and they are both the highest marks, then yes, their exam mark is 97 and their assessment mark will be moderated to 97, giving a final mark of 97.
Thank you :) this clears things up. Sorry, I should've clarified, yes they are the same person getting both marks.
Also thanks to BandSixFix and mattstaker

Nahcal

HSC
If you are ranked first internally and externally, then your overall HSC mark will just be equal to whatever your external mark (examination mark) is. (Ignoring any complicating factors like being equal first or something.) More generally, if you're ranked (outright) first internally, your assessment mark will become whatever your cohort's highest examination mark turns out to be.

So if you rank first internally, your internal mark (from school assessments) itself becomes essentially irrelevant for you.
Thanks! This is very interesting :) is it the same for small schools? Say if my classes have like 5-6 people in them and the highest marks are like 80?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)