Internal Course Transfer at UNSW and USYD (1 Viewer)

Checkmate

HSC
Hey, so my dream course is Bachelor of Advanced Mathematics at UNSW but the guaranteed ATAR requirement for it is 95 which I'm not sure if I will be able to get so I just wanted to ask how hard it is to transfer from a normal Bachelor of Science Mathematics course to the Bachelor of Advanced Mathematics course at UNSW or USYD and if anybody here or someone you know has done so ?. If yes, what is the process is normally like?. If anyone knows how it is to transfer from a Bachelor of Science to a Bachelor of Advanced Science that would probably be helpful too since the situation seems similar.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I graduated a while back with a Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) degree from USYD. The process of transferring shouldn't be too difficult. If you get reasonable marks in first year, you'll be able to transfer.

For USYD, the only difference between the Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) and Bachelor of Science (majoring in Mathematics) is just the name. Aside from that, there is 0 difference between them. In my opinion, the "Advanced Mathematics" degree is just a marketing ploy to attract students - the cut-off for the Advanced Mathematics degree at USYD was 99.1 (IIRC) in my year, so it attracted all the top math kids (I was in the same classes with the entire Aus IMO team).

I've attached an image from my degree, and as you can see, it just has the words "Advanced Mathematics" tacked on at the end. Aside from that, there's no differences between the two degrees when you graduate.

When it comes to getting a job, it doesn't make a difference whether you were in the "Advanced Mathematics" degree or not. The only thing that matters is that you have a major in math. So my advice is not to fret if you don't get in - just do a math major in the normal Sci degree and it literally makes no difference.

Attachments

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
^Exactly the same thing for UNSW. I'm doing an Advanced Science majoring in Physics and one of my friends just does Science with a Major in Physics, yet he is still in exactly the same classes as me. The only real difference is the name and somewhat 'prestige' you get with advanced next to it.

The other difference is the normal Science doesn't have compulsory Honours like the Advanced Science does. In Science you have to get good marks to be able to do Honours, whereas its compulsory for Advanced.

Same thing as USYD for the transfer mentioned above.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
For the record, I internally transferred into the Adv Math degree as well. The reason was that I was combined with engineering, and there was no UAC course code for BEng/BSci(Advanced Mathematics), only BEng/BSci. On open day, they said they'll put me in the Adv Math degree, but I think they just forgot. I only realised I wasn't in the Adv Math degree after my first semester, so I just walked over to the Student Office and told them I wanted to transfer in. They looked at my marks for a solid 5 seconds, then said "hm...yeh ok", and signed it off. That's how chill it was.

Checkmate

HSC
For the record, I internally transferred into the Adv Math degree as well. The reason was that I was combined with engineering, and there was no UAC course code for BEng/BSci(Advanced Mathematics), only BEng/BSci. On open day, they said they'll put me in the Adv Math degree, but I think they just forgot. I only realised I wasn't in the Adv Math degree after my first semester, so I just walked over to the Student Office and told them I wanted to transfer in. They looked at my marks for a solid 5 seconds, then said "hm...yeh ok", and signed it off. That's how chill it was.
Thanks for the reply and the reassurance. I'm not sure if you remember or not because you mentioned that it has been a while since you graduated but is it difficult to get a WAM of 80+ in your Math courses and a 75+ (these are the transfer requirements at UNSW) overall during the first year or is it quite doable. I am willing to put in the effort but if you do remember, how much did you normally study ?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
They looked at my marks for a solid 5 seconds, then said "hm...yeh ok", and signed it off. That's how chill it was.
That flex though....... =)

Thanks for the reply and the reassurance. I'm not sure if you remember or not because you mentioned that it has been a while since you graduated but is it difficult to get a WAM of 80+ in your Math courses and a 75+ (these are the transfer requirements at UNSW) overall during the first year or is it quite doable. I am willing to put in the effort but if you do remember, how much did you normally study ?
You want to be a math major so Im assuming here that you've done 4u maths and are good at it. If that's the case it wont be that hard for you.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
First year math shouldn't be too difficult if you have quite good grasp of HSC concepts. Like I would say if you are getting mid band 6 in 2 unit, or band 6 in 3 unit and 4 unit, you should be fine. The exams are actually quite nice in terms of they basically test you on similar questions to the tutorials and past papers they provide. So yeah it's very achievable. If you are good at math and keep up to date with the content and do the past papers they give you getting 85+ in the subject is not too difficult

If you go UNSW though I strongly recommend enrolling in the lecture slot for Dr Mansfield in MATH1A and MATH1B (he is probably the best lecturer I have had so far)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
That will be kinda be different for everyone. Math was always my best area, so I never struggled to get 80+ in my math subjects despite never attending lectures (compare that to engineering where I struggled to even get a D). But as people have said above, 1st yr math isn't that difficult, since it's designed for a lot of people across many degrees. You'll also have answers to tutorial problems to guide you, so as long as you do the tutorial problems, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
For UNSW there is a difference between Adv Sci (Mathematics) and Adv Math, at least in terms of program structure.

For example, MATH1081 is compulsory for Adv Math but not Adv Sci.
The 2nd/3rd year core courses for Adv Sci and the Adv Math streams are also different.

For the normal Science (Mathematics) program, you have the option of not taking the "Higher" mathematics courses (e.g. Higher Math 1A, Higher Math 1B, Higher Complex Analysis...)

If you do Science at UNSW and get decent marks, I don't see why you can't IPT into Adv Sci or Adv Math.

Checkmate

HSC
For UNSW there is a difference between Adv Sci (Mathematics) and Adv Math, at least in terms of program structure.

For example, MATH1081 is compulsory for Adv Math but not Adv Sci.
The 2nd/3rd year core courses for Adv Sci and the Adv Math streams are also different.

For the normal Science (Mathematics) program, you have the option of not taking the "Higher" mathematics courses (e.g. Higher Math 1A, Higher Math 1B, Higher Complex Analysis...)

If you do Science at UNSW and get decent marks, I don't see why you can't IPT into Adv Sci or Adv Math.
Aah I see. I was just talking about Advanced Mathematics and Science (Mathematics major). I didn't know that there was also an Advanced Science (mathematics) in UNSW.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I'm assuming that's just the Advanced equivalent of the Science (mathematics major) degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)