• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

internal rankings (1 Viewer)

gilmoregirls13

HSC
i'm so sorry if this is very dramatic, but i'm ranked second in business studies. i am very happy but at the same time i am annoyed because my average got beaten by 0.20% even though i performed better in trials (but stuffed up the take home assignments). i heard that if internal rankings are very close, nesa doesn't really see it as different and both can still do well. is this true? i hear so many different things about internal rankings so i'm scared i might be dragged/scaled down.

Chiprr

Somewhat Active Member
HSC
Apologies for not having the answer to your question, but I believe that with a gap so small, as long as you still do well you’ll basically get an equivalent mark. I too dropped to second in maths ext 1 (by 0.3%) and physics by a similar small gap, so I’d like clarification too if anyone else has the answer

randomuser246

HSC
I think this is what happens: When the school submits marks to nesa it is to the nearest whole number. When rounded you and the other person will be on the same number. My school doesn’t like to submit anyone in the top 10 on the same rank so they alter the marks to prevent nesa from averaging. If first is equal internal but get the different exam marks they get averaged and if there is a significant difference it can disadvantage the person with the higher mark. This is what I have gathered from talking to teachers don’t trust me on it completely

gilmoregirls13

HSC
Apologies for not having the answer to your question, but I believe that with a gap so small, as long as you still do well you’ll basically get an equivalent mark. I too dropped to second in maths ext 1 (by 0.3%) and physics by a similar small gap, so I’d like clarification too if anyone else has the answer
the pain 😭 i feel you

gilmoregirls13

HSC
I think this is what happens: When the school submits marks to nesa it is to the nearest whole number. When rounded you and the other person will be on the same number. My school doesn’t like to submit anyone in the top 10 on the same rank so they alter the marks to prevent nesa from averaging. If first is equal internal but get the different exam marks they get averaged and if there is a significant difference it can disadvantage the person with the higher mark. This is what I have gathered from talking to teachers don’t trust me on it completely
tysm!! hopefully i'll be okay then 🤞

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)