Internal Transfers at USYD/UNSW Question (1 Viewer)

xMaFF

HSC
Hello!

Is it possible to do an internal transfer at USYD/UNSW from B Arts to B Arts/B Commerce after one year? (That is, studying B Arts for one year, then doing an internal transfer into the double degree - B Arts/B Commerce).

ATAR and uni scores aside for the moment, I just want to know if this is possible.
Is this pathway common/accepted?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you in advance.

deedle

HSC
Hey, sorry I'm new so I'm not really sure how the forum stuff works...

That's exactly what I'm planning to do, barring the off-chance that I get straight in (more likely an ATAR around 90), albeit I've set my sights exclusively on the University of Sydney. I visited the Arts department last week, and they explained the process of transferring from Arts to Com/Arts in your second year - it's simple and pretty common (although I'm only speaking for USYD here).

Although they did stipulate some element of... You know, not doing bricklaying or pottery or some utterly unrelated subject purely to get good marks in your arts degree... They said that if you do decently, you'll simply be transferred into the second year of the Com/Arts with credits from Arts being applied to the Com/Arts, so that you miss the first year of the Commerce side of things, but by the start of Year 2 you're in exactly the same position as someone getting straight in to Com/Arts from High School.

I'm pretty set on Philosophy, and to a lesser extent Psychology and French. A non-vocational degree like Arts just seems to perfectly compliment an industry recognised-course like B.Com. Long term plan is to get out after 5 years at Uni, a few years of work, and then try to get into an international MBA (European business schools/banks value an Arts degree way more than the Asia-Pacific region) and travel a bit in the process!

xMaFF

HSC
Deedle.

Firstly, thank you for your input and welcome to the BOS community. :)

I'm glad to hear that a fellow student has the exact same plan. You've helped me greatly in my uni options. (I have my UAC application open in a separate browser tab as I type this, haha.)

Thank you for explaining the process of doing B Arts for one year, then doing an internal transfer - into B Arts/B Comm. I was really worried on how the system went, if it was complicated, etc. But you assured me that it was actually a simple process, and that it is common in USYD.

What do you intend to 'major' in for commerce?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! x100

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Possible at UNSW, I think you need a 75 WAM. Also applying through UAC gives you a better chance than an internal transfer.

deedle

HSC
Right now (and assuming I do Commerce after my year of Arts) I'm planning Finance and International Business as my majors. Combining them with a major in Philosophy and potentially a fourth major in Psychology or French - but unfortunately Psychology falls under the 'Table B' of Arts subjects, a.k.a the ones which can only be completed as minors. So I'm not sure how that will all work :(

I'm also thinking of ditching the B.Arts after my first year and going for a straight B.Psychology... I honestly have no idea what my preferences will be by the end of next year!

What about you?

And no sweat dude, I've been looking over these forums for ages and when I saw this thread pop up today it was just SO relevant that I had to give my 2 cents worth :D Good luck studying!

xMaFF

HSC
Thank you for your advice, kaz1! I really hope I can get into UNSW for B Arts. :)

Deedle! Well, at the end of the day I want to come out of the 'university experience' as an actuary. I'm also very keen on learning a new language as well! So maybe I'll major in Chinese or Korean Studies for the Arts part, along with Economics.

My plans are...
PLAN A: If I am accepted into UNSW, studying for a B Arts
- First of all, CELEBRATE! (I really, really want to get into UNSW!)
- Study B Arts for a year, hopefully get good grades - 75 WAM, as kaz1 specified
- Do an internal transfer (or through UAC) for B Arts/B Comm, still at UNSW
- Major in Actuarial Studies for Comm, with mathematics on the side

PLAN B: If I am accepted into USYD, studying for a B Arts
- Study B Arts for a year, hopefully get good grades
- Do an internal transfer (or through UAC) for B Arts/B Comm, still at USYD
- Major in Finance and something else, haha. Not quite sure yet!

Good luck to you as well. Our final HSC exams are approaching. I think it's like 19 days before we sit the English Paper 1!

Thank you for all your help, Deedle! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)