• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Internally, if Person A beats Person B by a mark, but externally... (1 Viewer)

Carl5

HSC
Internally, if Person A beats Person B by a mark, but externally:

1. Person A gets a mark of 90, but Person B gets a mark of 60.
2. Person A gets a mark of 60, but Person B gets a mark of 90.

How are the internal marks affected in the end.

I'm just curious.

EDIT: Ok, I guess what I mean to ask is does the gap between the internal marks still affect the overall internal mark when there is such a large gap in the externals.

Also assuming that Person A is first internally and Person B is second.

Last edited:

kfnmpah

HSC
If you come first internally, but you come 2nd externally, you get the first person's exam mark.
If you come 5th internally but come first externally, you get the 5th exam mark and the first person internally gets your exam mark. Rank means everything.

edit: I think.

Carl5

HSC
Ok, I guess what I mean to ask is does the gap between the internal marks still affect the overall internal mark when there is such a large gap in the externals.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Internally, if Person A beats Person B by a mark, but externally:

1. Person A gets a mark of 90, but Person B gets a mark of 60.
2. Person A gets a mark of 60, but Person B gets a mark of 90.

How are the internal marks affected in the end.

I'm just curious.

EDIT: Ok, I guess what I mean to ask is does the gap between the internal marks still affect the overall internal mark when there is such a large gap in the externals.

1. person A gets 90 internal 90 external, B gets 60 internal 60 external

2. person A gets 90 internal 60 external, B gets 60 internal 90 external

Carl5

HSC
Oh ok. So the miniscule gap between them internally has no effect?

tambam

HSC
1. person A gets 90 internal 90 external, B gets 60 internal 60 external

2. person A gets 90 internal 60 external, B gets 60 internal 90 external
No, this is wrong.
The gaps between the internal marks would be maintained.
so
1. person A gets 90 internal, 90 external. B gets 60 external, and in the 80s for internals, depending on how the other people in the course went. (Could get a mark of up to 89)
2. A gets 90 internal, 60 external. B gets 90 external, but as above, in the 80s for the internals.

Carl5

HSC
How about if we assumed that no one got a mark between 90 to 60 externally, as in they can only be first or second.

theone111

HSC
N/A
no people get the wrong idea

if ur ranked 5.. you dont get the 5th exam mark

they factor in the disparity between 5th and 4th and look at the top external and bottom external and figure it out with some equation or some shit

tambam

HSC
How about if we assumed that no one got a mark between 90 to 60 externally, as in they can only be first or second.
That seems pretty impossible....
Bos does the bell curve thing with all the marks, then shifts everyones marks around according to how everyone from your school goes in the externals.
So person 2 would still get higher than 60, since he/she only got beaten by one mark internally, and this would be reflected in the moderation.

Carl5

HSC
That seems pretty impossible....
Bos does the bell curve thing with all the marks, then shifts everyones marks around according to how everyone from your school goes in the externals.
So person 2 would still get higher than 60, since he/she only got beaten by one mark internally, and this would be reflected in the moderation.
Alright, that answers my question! Thank you :)

comm-u-nist

HSC
N/A
none of this actually matters because the raw marks you get are ... well ... the raw marks you get. nothing will change that; knowing the scaling, aligning and ranking processes couldn't possibly improve your atar.

tambam

HSC
none of this actually matters because the raw marks you get are ... well ... the raw marks you get. nothing will change that; knowing the scaling, aligning and ranking processes couldn't possibly improve your atar.
No, raw marks don't mean much, and will change a lot. Get your facts right. And knowledge of the moderation process often inspires people to work harder, or help other people because they realise the benefits to their own marks.

Bobbo1

HSC
Doesn't it have to do with standard deviation??, after your internals, you are given a standard deviation mark, the "z" score or something which is a measure of how far you are away from the mean. Then for your assessment mark, this "z" score will be used to calculate it. And as per usual you will get your own external mark.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
no i doubt it, in a 2 person grade, the marks are not moderated they are left as 90 and 60 however there is alignment of marks which will probs boost up the 60.

It is true they try to keep the gap as much as possible but sometimes you just cant. That is because the exam marks only have 150 marks to play around with and therefore assessments marks will only have 150 marks to be adjusted between the two students.

Also no 5th does not mean 5th highest marks. It all depends on distribution of marks. Depending on the distribution of marks rank 5-10 could even get the same assessment mark. As far as I know rank 5-7 for legal studies in my year got the same assessment marks. Even though we were separated by 1 mark based on our school marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)