International and Global Studies vs Commerce @ USYD (1 Viewer)

flowerpoweroo

HSC
I'm going to be starting university this year and ideally would like to study International and Global Studies at USYD, majoring in political economy and Korean studies, but I am worried about graduate job prospects after completing this particular degree, especially with money I will need to spend during my degree for the overseas exchange program. This degree sounds interesting to me however after reading other forums on job prospects within the international studies field, I became disheartened at the lack of job opportunities people were describing.

I am considering to do Commerce at USYD and major in international business instead for potentially better job prospects, however I will most likely have to transfer after my first year of studying International at USYD as Commerce does not have flexible entry unlike BIGS. Both have a similar ATAR cut-off (approximately 95) but my ATAR was 94+.

If anyone is currently studying either degree at USYD, please leave a comment below as to what I should do - especially regarding job prospects for both degrees. Should I consider transferring into Commerce after my first year or should I just stick with BIGS for the entire degree?

Also if I do transfer, would I need to start my commerce degree from scratch or can I continue into second year if I were to choose to study international business and Korean studies through BIGS?

Disclaimer: I didn't do any humanities for my HSC like Economics etc, as the subjects I did choose for my HSC were very heavily reliant on maths and sciences. Would it be hard for me to pick up the material in these degrees compared to people who have done these subjects?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:

akt

HSC
What did you end up doing? Thinking of this course

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
What did you end up doing? Thinking of this course
Don't, go Commerce and go on a normal exchange program. What she said about others saying there's a lack of job prospects is totally correct and hasn't changed. International studies is just a muffly degree that is too generalist and doesn't teach any technical knowledge that employers want in the commerce sector.

A lot of people have had a phase(including me) where they wanted to do international studies, cause lets face it , studying about international problems in the realm of business sounds pretty good, but in reality doesn't do any justice for job searching where others have technical knowledge like accounting or finance which is actually valued and used daily in any commerce job, and there's enough of those students coming of out university already.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Everyone I know who was enrolled in that course has already switch to something else.

akt

HSC
I Did INGS and hated it.
That's a let down, after so long of being clueless I had finally thought I'd found something that appealed to me. But thank you all so much for your help!

Why was it that you hated the course and what were your major/s? Did you find difficulty in finding a job after? What are you doing now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)