International business (1 Viewer)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
i was wondering what you actually learn in international business. Is it fun? Do we get to go overseas? Most importantly, what career paths are there if i study this?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I did international business in my first 2 years at uni

Basically, its a pretty interesting subject area, as in, the subject matter is enjoyable to study compared with the commerce core subjects. You don't get to go overseas (that's the BBA International @ Macquarie Uni), nor are there any concrete career destinations from the major (you'd want to combine with Accounting or Finance for example)

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
one of the lecturers said that doing INTL BUS is usually a leadway into management positions. after all, it does deal with managing issues of the firm in the global context...

Affinity

HSC
international business should lead to a pretty concrete career, you can join one of the many importers, exporters or just any trading firm.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
im doing ibus. do i have to do managing across cultures? i checked the booklet and it doesnt seem to be a prerequesite for anythihng.

those of you doing this major, is it worth continueing? its fairly easy and straightforward but it doesnt seem like it would be useful in the future.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes you need to do that course (unless its changed for this year)

The major is exactly how you described - easy, straightforward, but not really useful apart from the general knowledge learned

Sarah

HSC
N/A
ezzy85 said:
im doing ibus. do i have to do managing across cultures? i checked the booklet and it doesnt seem to be a prerequesite for anythihng.

those of you doing this major, is it worth continueing? its fairly easy and straightforward but it doesnt seem like it would be useful in the future.
I did a few Ibus courses but i'm not doing Ibus as a major. It's straightforward, nothing too complex.

Managing Across cultures is very straightforward. Prob the easiest of Ibus subjects i completed

As to it's usefulness, i guess it depends on what you want to do and also what skills it will give u to do what u want.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
I thought u were doing actuarial/math.
lol. you havent been keeping very close watch on me.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i was actually looking for the thread i started about this after the hsc.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
there is still one thing i don't get about international business. They say you learn about management in this major...but isn't good management something you acquire through experience?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)