international law question (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
does international law support intervention by the aust govt? why? why not?
im not sure what i should talk abt besides that the law requires nation states to maintain a peaceful and productive relationship.
its worth 5 marks

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Oh okay well that's a toughy then. Ummmmm. Well so far i have come up with this:
-->Does international law support intervention by the Aust. government? Why? Why not?
5 marks

For a crime to be international crime it must be:
· Internationally recognized as a crime
· Defined as a crime by the international community

A crime committed outside a national jurisdiction is one that takes place outside any nations laws. Piracy and aircraft hijacking are such crimes because they take place in international waters and in airspace, and are not under the jurisdiction of any one nation.

When a Transnational crime is committed, it means that the person committing the crime is responsible for it in many states. The drug trade is an example of this.

Generally, international crime is dealt with by individual nations to prosecute via domestic law. Historically, tribunals have been set up to deal with specific areas.

I think only with extradition, (the legal process by which one government may obtain custody of individuals from another government in order to put them on trial or imprison them) Australia can intervene because they can allow her to serve prison time in Australia. However, what they can’t do is intervene with the decision made by the Indonesian legal system. As she has committed the crime in their jurisdiction she has to be trailed under their jurisdiction, and Australia can only intervene when extraditing her back home to serve her time in prison.

And thats all i can really think of at the moment, sorry if it doenst help but it might get you a few marks :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)