• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

international students getting jobs (1 Viewer)

bluephish

HSC
I'm an international student and I've got my work visa all ready, but no job!

I've applied to Hoyts, Coles (online), Cold rock, blockbuster, Next Byte... Haven't heard from any of them. Should I call them?

Are there any other places where you can get a job quickly? Say with no experience and being an international student.

I figure I'll either die of boredom or starvation, whichever comes first. I have only 12 hours of uni a week, so I'm quite bored most of the time.

T

Testpilot

Try telling them that you're studying something other than arts.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
hmm..
i'd just go and get some cash in hand job.......
if you're near unsw or usyd i'm sure there are plenty of places to find positions....

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
nichhhole said:
hmm..
i'd just go and get some cash in hand job.......
if you're near unsw or usyd i'm sure there are plenty of places to find positions....

Eh. cash in hand is no fun. For one if you're injured at work you would not recieve any compo as there is no record of you working there.

Apocalypsse

HSC
Well I know for Victoria internationals cant do more than 20 hours of work a week, not sure how it is for other states. Dont bother with Security, it will be a super bitch to get a licence.

bluephish

HSC
Aw yeah. I'm at UTS. I suppose I could just start at maccas.

The wait is killing me.:bomb:

CieL

HSC
Do you live around the city too?

My first job was at a food court.......... hired me pretty much on the spot BUT it was cash in hand....... meaning [for you] that hours mean nothing cos no-one knows you're working anyway......... I didnt stay in it for long after I found out it was cash, but yeah, I haven't got any [major] injuries from working.. but I've only worked for hmmm ~1.3yrs so I guess it aint a good indicator lol.. just the occassional bruise/scratch

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Immigration is a Commonwealth thing - all student visa holders can only work a maximum of 20 hours.

I say retail is your best bet. Keep contacting them.

You should also consider Woolworths/Safeway and McDonalds. Also look at on-campus jobs, there's usually some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)