International Students (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Neo is right the interational students will happily team up for pool - my point in the statement was the trivial pool table issue is really the biggest problem eg chellovek is exaggerating...... alot

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
cherryblossom said:
oohh that was so funny hahahahahaha :rolleyes: neo you're getting rusty
lots of male strippers. :p

alright look at it this way. The unis want to make money from the international students and that means they have to live in a college hall and go to the uni and it's tough luck whether you like it or not.
fleep I'm not too sure about the rural thing. It's not quintessentially aussie; you can't say the cities aren't australian because they are.
If you've spent some time overseas then you'll really notice the distinct way of Aussie life and so on; I do agree it's very Americanised but there are still things that we have and others don't.
yes, I've been overseas- I lived in Zimbabwe for 2 years. Austrlia may have originality, but I seriously don't think the culture is classifiable. Could anyone give me examples of "Australian" culture? Like, things that are uniquely Australian as well as almost universal amongst the Australian population.

I just like the elements of rurality I guess. Wouldn't you say that cities are less distinctively Australian than the country? As far as they are much more similar to cities overseas than Australian country is? Either way, the rural thing was not my major point- I just get irritated when people talk about Australian culture like they speak for all Australians- which impplies that we all have the same culture. I guess the whole idea of a national culture doesn't really gel with me. Admittedly this is probably a result of nostalgia/romanticism for 'older' cultures. Is it possible for a post-colonial nation to have a distinct culture? Shouldn't it take a bit longer?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fleepbasding said:
yes, I've been overseas- I lived in Zimbabwe for 2 years. Austrlia may have originality, but I seriously don't think the culture is classifiable. Could anyone give me examples of "Australian" culture? Like, things that are uniquely Australian as well as almost universal amongst the Australian population.

I just like the elements of rurality I guess. Wouldn't you say that cities are less distinctively Australian than the country? As far as they are much more similar to cities overseas than Australian country is? Either way, the rural thing was not my major point- I just get irritated when people talk about Australian culture like they speak for all Australians- which impplies that we all have the same culture. I guess the whole idea of a national culture doesn't really gel with me. Admittedly this is probably a result of nostalgia/romanticism for 'older' cultures. Is it possible for a post-colonial nation to have a distinct culture? Shouldn't it take a bit longer?
I wasn't trying to be patronising btw. Our culture is multiculturalism...which sounds strange but that's what we are. There are so many diverse cultures which make up Australia as a whole, so no, I couldn't give you one explicit definition. But there's nowhere else in the world you would get exactly the same combination.
A modernist are you :p?
Yeah, I know what you mean...but you can't say the cities aren't Australian. I think it's mostly because rural Australia is still predominantly white, with some ATSI whereas the cities are like, Asian. -____- cue neo complaining

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
forget the rural thing- it is the landscape that I like, not the white people- nothing to do with culture really. I love the asian, that is not the intention of my statements (I know you didn't imply this, I'm just covering my back). I agree that Australia is characterized by multi-culturalism, which is EXACTLY why we can't define Australian culture as one distinctive thing. Which I have no problem with, that's exactly what I'm saying, we shouldn't discuss "Australian" culture because there is really no such thing. Maybe it should be called white-Australian culture- I think that's what Chelloveck is defending.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Hopefully johns, anything else?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Jago said:
Hopefully johns, anything else?
dude random comment there?

yeah I think the threadstarter takes the whole thing a bit too seriously.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
chelloveck said:
Culture isn't really something tangible that you can describe. Well you can, but it always just comes out as cliches and simplifications. You really should know what traditional Australian culture is.
^that's a nice attempt at evading the question. Come on, really, shouldn't you be able to describe what you are defending against the international student invasion? Maybe you're confusing 'Australian' culture with 'fenner' culture.

chelloveck: "One thing I particularly hate is the amount of Australian culture being replaced by American culture."

Then Asians are our only chance of preventing Americanisation. We should allow lots of asians into our country so their special culture can mingle with ours and then, and then only, will Australia have a unique all-emcompassing culture to speak of.

chelloveck

i'm feeling fat and sassy
fenner hall. perving on mcdickpants across the roa
HSC
fleepbasding said:
^that's a nice attempt at evading the question. Come on, really, shouldn't you be able to describe what you are defending against the international student invasion? Maybe you're confusing 'Australian' culture with 'fenner' culture.

chelloveck: "One thing I particularly hate is the amount of Australian culture being replaced by American culture."

Then Asians are our only chance of preventing Americanisation. We should allow lots of asians into our country so their special culture can mingle with ours and then, and then only, will Australia have a unique all-emcompassing culture to speak of.
What because i don't want to put traditional Australian culture in terms of cliches and simplifications you're suggesting there is no such thing as traditional Asutralian culture?

Cultural isurgence in any form is bad in my opinion, whether it be American or the "special Asian culture". It's just cause there's so much American cultural imperialism that I hate it. If there was this much Asian cultural imperialism, I'd hate it just as much.

Anyway, I think the crux of what I'm saying here, is cultural replacement is bad, whether it be Western culture replacing Eastern culture, or Eastern culture replacing Western culture. The international student thing was just an example of cultural replacememnt that is occurring all over the world, and basically, i hate this.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
How xenophobic of you.....

Multiculturalism is good and works well provided that entrants into a culture whilst observing their own culture adhere to the cultural baseline of their adoptive culture.

Eg It's fine for asians to be asians etc if they are willing to share the pool table.....

Alex_H86

CEO of BoS...
HSC
Do you know what distincts Australian culture from any other country? The fact that we are so multicultural. It's that simple.

Have you ever thought that maybe many international students don't branch out, because they are perceived to be 'taking over the country'? It's unfriendly attitudes like this that puts them off, and I really don'y blame them.

Between 1947 until 1973, the immigration contributed 60% of Australia's population increase. Thus most of your parents and grandparents weren't typically Aussie...

Australia is the place of multiculturalism....embrace it. :)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Multiculturalism isnt unique to Australia. There are plenty of them. What is unique is how we're coming to terms with it.
I dont think there's a right answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)