International Studies and International Studies/Law (1 Viewer)

moffie_bottom

HSC
Question: Can you transfer to International Studies/Law after completing the first year of International Studies?

I've been looking around, and I can't seem to find an answer to my question. So, I was wondering if anybody actually knew?

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I know you can through USyd 'cause they're offering it for the first time this year and you can transfer through their UAI95+D/HD average scheme...not sure about old New South though.

moffie_bottom

HSC
Meldrum said:
I know you can through USyd 'cause they're offering it for the first time this year and you can transfer through their UAI95+D/HD average scheme...not sure about old New South though.
Oh, I didn't know that :)

Alas, I'm applying for international studies at UNSW...simply because it seems like a better international studies course for me...but thanks anyway!

moffie_bottom

HSC
wikiwiki said:
what are you studying?

lol social sciences @ unsw

hahahaha

yeah ;) real good

hahahahaha
Well, I'm just about to do my HSC...officially starting in 4 days :p and I'm pretty sure I can get into international studies.

Only, I'm curious if it's possible for me to transfer into international studies/law after a year...

You're doing social sciences?

moffie_bottom

HSC
wikiwiki said:
at a real university (sydney)

what i meant was, what will you study in the degree?

I should warn you, political science and international relations @unsw is ranked 14th in Australia by leading pol sci researchers (about 190th ranking in the world)

UNSW is very poor in the social sciences.
I know Sydney has a stronger Arts focus than UNSW...I initially wanted to go to Sydney to do Media and Communications....but 98 is a bit beyond me, I think...

I looked at International Studies at Sydney...but from what I've been able to deduce, it seems that UNSW offers better finanical support for the year overseas. Either way, I was just curious about the law part.

heidi_kak

HSC
you can transfer into combined law at unsw/usyd if you have completed exactly one year of undergraduate study in ANY degree in any uni.
if you started straight international studies at unsw and then achieved a transfer into law (difficult! you would want a uai of 96+ still and at least a distinction average), you could probably count most/all of your first year subjects and still complete the degree in 6 years.

DA MAN

HSC
oi wikiwiki u sad piece of shit go get a life and go out instead of telling off UNSW and its courses
U poof.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
at a real university (sydney)

what i meant was, what will you study in the degree?

I should warn you, political science and international relations @unsw is ranked 14th in Australia by leading pol sci researchers (about 190th ranking in the world)

UNSW is very poor in the social sciences.
The structure of B International Studies is different to B International Relations at USyd.

Strange that UNSW should be "so poor in the social sciences" and yet introduce a degree focused soley on International studies before "a real university (sydney)"

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
(yes wiki moron that would explain why the centre for social policy research is at unsw.)

of course you can transfer if your marks are good enough. but the competition is pretty tough, coz that's wat lots of ppl plan to do. just because the cut-off is 90 doesn't mean there aren't heaps of ppl with high UAIs. and plus, you have to compete with people who could have got into law in the first place but decided not to, have started the degree and decided they wished they had and now apply for it taking the lovely spot you hoped you'd get.

unsw is very flexible, and the degree covenors are very approachable and will help you organise your degree so you go where you need to go. You do realise though that everyone has to do law subjects as part of international studies even if they're not doing a combined degree anyway right? There's a core component to do with international law and human rights....

moffie_bottom

HSC
heidi_kak said:
you can transfer into combined law at unsw/usyd if you have completed exactly one year of undergraduate study in ANY degree in any uni.
if you started straight international studies at unsw and then achieved a transfer into law (difficult! you would want a uai of 96+ still and at least a distinction average), you could probably count most/all of your first year subjects and still complete the degree in 6 years.
Thanks :) Your reply was really helpful... I had been wondering if it was possible (since there doesn't seem to be much information around) and now I know.

It looks like a difficult feat...but if I decide that's what I want later, I guess I'll just have to work my backside off for it :p

jason_granger

......jd
HSC
can u still transfer to law if u haven't completed one year of study?.. ie only half a year?..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)