international studies enrolment (1 Viewer)

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
Anybody else out there doing international studies and not sure exactly what we're meant to be enrolling in? They're website is sooo out of date. Half the courses don't even exist! And some marked as compulsory don't seem to be compulsory.... Anyone got the know how?

[yes, i know im lazy and i could just call them but where would be the fun in that?]

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
sorry, wrong thread altogether, but how much would the university contribute to the expenses of a year overseas (compulsory)? (Assuming one was getting god enough results)

Bi~~

HSC
jawjayo said:
Anybody else out there doing international studies and not sure exactly what we're meant to be enrolling in? They're website is sooo out of date. Half the courses don't even exist! And some marked as compulsory don't seem to be compulsory.... Anyone got the know how?

[yes, i know im lazy and i could just call them but where would be the fun in that?]

yes SAME ..stuck..haha

tsuki

HSC
N/A
From this year's printed handbook I have the cores are:-

Yr/session Code course
1/1 INST1100 or INST 1300 "World history 1A" or "Int relations in 20th c"
1/2 INST1200 or INST1400 "World History 1B" or "Intl relations: continuty and change"

2/1 INST2200 "Globalisation and fragmentation"
2/2 INST2300/2301 "Int Law, Power, Politics & Ideology" or "Global Goverance

3/1 INST2400 or 2401 "The theory and practice of Development" or "Sustainable development, globalisation and the 3rd world"
and a choice from
INST3300 or INST3301 "Theorising Int Political Economy" or "Economic Growth, tech and structural change"
3/2 Overseas

4/1 Overseas
4/2 INST3900 "Int Studies Adv seminar"
________

hope that's helps :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
B.International Studies at UNSW.

All smart 2005ers opt to do this course - teaches you everything: languages, history, politics, international relations, sociology, social policy, international law, world political economy [which basically is the reason for all the pain and suffering in the world aside from human nature]....
Your signature is hilarious.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
sorry tsuki that wasnt helpful at all coz that is out of date (its the same as the website) - some of those courses dont exist, others only enrol like 10 people which therefore can hardly make them a compulsory subject since they wont fit everyone.

yes reality is hilarious. im just digging for smart ppl to do int st. so the uai and rep can go up :p

EmMindelan

done, and happy
HSC
I'm also probably going to do International Studies [combined with Law] but can someone tell me if I'd have to do a language if I chose the Global Studies stream? Please???

EmMindelan

done, and happy
HSC
See, you would think that, but it doesn't seem to be compulsory. Just that you "normally" have to do a language. But I can't find any up to date info on it!

snowblack

bleh
HSC
I really want to do international studies but my mums full nervous about letting me do it because shes like what kind of job are you going to get with it blah blah blah its like an arts degree blah blah...so anyways...wat kind of jobs can you get because the info on career options is kinda ambiguous... :cool:

phrred

HSC
look on the uac guide.

government, multinational corps, banks, diplomat etc

moffie_bottom

HSC
I'm doing International Studies next year :D

Can't wait, actually. I'm planning to take up the European studies area...not sure what language I'll pick yet, though.

I'm pretty sure you can find out all about the international studies curriculum on January 4, on the information day...that's when I'm gathering all the stuff I need to know, anyway...

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
Em Mindelan you HAVE TO DO A LANGUAGE! TRUST ME! i have a friend who is from brazil who spent the whole year trying to get out of doing a language since he already spoke three but STILL HAD TO DO A LANGUAGE! You would have to have some pretty damn fine reason and fabulous negotiating skills to get yourself out of doing a language, coz it has been tried and everyone has failed.

Besides which languages are the best assets you could possibly hope to have professionally in the fields relevant to global. So unless you are like my friend from brazil who speaks hundreds already, you might really want to consider studying one so you are chucked at the bottom of the hiring pile.

oh and moffie bottom good on you. see you round

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)