Internet Access at UNSW (1 Viewer)

kate.kate

HSC
Hi,

I will be studying at UNSW this year and living on campus. I am currently looking into my options for internet access and have a few questions, hoping someone may know the answers.

UNSW offers in room Ethernet Internet access charged at 6c/mb (Wireless at 10c/mb) which works out to be $60/gb, for those who want to use any VoIP services, download updates etc this would work out to be a very expensive (but fast 100mb?) solution. As I understand internal data is not charged, what sort of resources are available on the internal network?

Other options,

1. ADSL over the in room phone line, is this possible due to their telephone infrastructure?

2. Unwired/iBurst do they cover the UNSW area?

3. Dialup, what are the local calls worth out of rooms?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.
Kate.

sunny

meh.
HSC
kate.kate said:
As I understand internal data is not charged, what sort of resources are available on the internal network?
Any UNSW domain traffic...basically anything ending in unsw.edu.au is internal.

kate.kate said:
Looks like there blotches of Randwick/Kensington that are not covered. Check the Unwired website.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I would probbaly be leaning towards an Unwired/iBurst plan. You will have Internet access in your room, and right across campus (without using uniwide). Assuming of course, that reception is okay.

1) ADSL shouldn't be a problem, if you have your own phone line. If you could find a cheap plan, it might be pretty good.
2) No idea
3) Local calls would be probably a standardish rate <25cents.

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
kate.kate said:
Hi,

I will be studying at UNSW this year and living on campus. I am currently looking into my options for internet access and have a few questions, hoping someone may know the answers.

UNSW offers in room Ethernet Internet access charged at 6c/mb (Wireless at 10c/mb) which works out to be $60/gb, for those who want to use any VoIP services, download updates etc this would work out to be a very expensive (but fast 100mb?) solution. As I understand internal data is not charged, what sort of resources are available on the internal network?

Other options,

1. ADSL over the in room phone line, is this possible due to their telephone infrastructure?

Thanks.
Kate.
Where on campus are you staying?
Im at Baxter College, its 4c/Mb and everyone still uses it, there is that much shit on the colleges network that you dont need to download much stuff. And all your uni stuff is free cos its on the uni network.

1. No (at Kenso colleges anyway) because they have their own phone system, somewhat like a motel/hotel where you can ring each room for free and have to dial 1 to call outside, and they wont let ADSL (or tones) on their lines.
2. Don't know, but no one at college uses it.
3. Local calls are bout that same as from a normal phone, however once against they dont let tones on there lines.
Basically you have to use their net. Its not at all bad, most stuff you need is mirrored on UNSW servers and networks anyway.

ace

is retired
HSC
Probably want to wait until Unwired brings out ther pcmcia cards (if your planning on using a laptop). I'd figure the wabbit (the current modem from unwired) would be to cumbersome to carry around. This again is assuming your not like going to live on campus or what not.

If your using a laptop and need constant wireless internet, I guess Iburst is the only option left. I don't know how much Iburst plans are, yet I know they have pcmcia cards for laptops. Prices left as an exercise for people interested :)

EDIT: Sorry, I totally jumped to your 1. 2. 3. points Kate.Kate. Since your living at campus, just get Unwired then. Doesn't need a phone line, if you go over your mb limit in the month, you get speed shaped, no contract, month by month. That would probably suit you fine.

Last edited:

grimreaper

HSC
L45er said:
2. Don't know, but no one at college uses it.
I'm not at baxter, but I'm pretty sure I heard there were a few people there who have wireless internet (or at least they did last year)

Idyll

HSC
kate.kate said:
Hi,

Other options,

Thanks.
Kate.
Access to the internet via the UNSW network is fast, but as you say exepnsive. All internal sites are free, and you might want to check out http://mirror.cse.unsw.edu.au which has windows updates and other stuff.

1. As far as I know all the colleges use a PABX system to provide phones in rooms. ADSL will not work through a PABX.

2. Unwired/iBurst will work in rooms, but I really suggest you consider whether or not it's worth it. You've got the initial costs for the modem, generally followed by a 12 month contract at $50/month+

3. Dial-up will work, although the college will probably frown upon it. It's also very slow.

It's also worth remembering that the internet is free in the library and in many computer labs around campus (which ones you have access to depends on which courses you're studying).

elfm

HSC
I know this is highly dodgey, but I saw a few people in the FBE building connecting up their laptops via a cable to the internet sockets. Man did he download things off bittorrent fast :D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
elfm said:
I know this is highly dodgey, but I saw a few people in the FBE building connecting up their laptops via a cable to the internet sockets. Man did he download things off bittorrent fast :D
lol, it all comes back though.. I remember MGM or Miramax or some US studio filed a complaint with UNSW because the Commerce society office was leeching GB's of movies from bittorrent..

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
elfm said:
Yeh i've heard that about FBE as well. Everyone uses it to download torrent files.

kate.kate

HSC
Thanks for all the replies, very useful information.

I think the best solution for the time being would be to stick with on campus internet access and see how it goes, after all there is no contracts etc... if that doesnt work out Unwired would be the current next best thing.

L45er said:
Where on campus are you staying?
will be staying on the Kensignton Campus.

Idyll said:
This mirror looks very handy. thanks for the link

Kate.

kate.kate

HSC
one more question,

how does one go about paying for in room internet access at unsw?

eg, is it a prepaid type thing where i have so much money on an account, then it runs out, or is it billed to me?

Thanks.

grimreaper

HSC
kate.kate said:
one more question,

eg, is it a prepaid type thing where i have so much money on an account, then it runs out, or is it billed to me?

Thanks.
Its prepaid, I pay at the library (which isnt far from the kenso colleges) but I think it can be done in other ways

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
kate.kate said:
one more question,

Thanks.
Yeh, well for the kenso's colleges it is prepaid. When it runs out you can either go to the library and pay and get more or go to the https://ops.unsw.edu.au/UDUS/ and use your credit card to get more credit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)