• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Internet Providers & "Deals" ??! (1 Viewer)

Lazy Lankan

HSC
k guys im with Primus atm yea ... and from checkin my account details online im currently payin like $38 a month and ive got: ADSL 256K and a download limit of like 500MB (which im guessing is pretty damn slow) ... ive got like no idea about speeds n all dat other bs, but what is like standard speed nowadays for a heavy user - browsing, dloading, streaming etc.?

anyone here with primus? if so what "deal" are u on ... was thinkin of switchin to optus but coz i live in the middle of bloody nowhere - CAMPBELLTOWN - i cant get cable and all the high-high-speed stuff.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
oh and can sum1 xplain y when Im dloading my speed usually reads (on average) between 8-15KB/s .... I know it depends on how many users have the file on all that ... but with ADSL shouldnt I be able to dload a 5000KB file in like 2-3 mins instead of 15-20mins ??? Is Primus screwing me over ??

sunny

meh.
HSC
Lazy Lankan said:
I know it depends on how many users have the file on all that
It sounds like you're talking about downloading on a P2P network. Then like you already said it depends on how many people have the file and how fast their connection is. If only one person is sending you a file and is sending it at 1KB/s then it doesn't matter how fast your connect is or what company you're with, you're still only going to get it at 1KB/s.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Yeah I think you are getting ripped off. Just take exetel (they are my provider) and their prices:

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.htm

Ignoring the activation fee, you can get a bigger download limit and faster speed, 512K. I am on this and the max is about 55kb/s. I don't know what living in Campbelltown would have to do with all this though....

(oh and if you do decide on changing to exetel, could you please PM me so you can use me as a refferer.:eek:) :)

edit: sunny has a fair point about download speeds...what if you download from sites like download.com or microsoft.com?

Dark Phoenix

HSC
would any of you know what is the best wireless internet deal with unlimited downloads?

sunny

meh.
HSC
redruM said:
I don't know what living in Campbelltown would have to do with all this though....
Sometimes being on a bad exchange really ruins things. I have a friend on 1.5Mbps ADSL out west and they can't stream videos from sites like YouTube fast enough.

While you're at it: http://www.ozspeedtest.com/

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
redruM said:
Yeah I think you are getting ripped off. Just take exetel (they are my provider) and their prices:

http://www.exetel.com.au/a_plan_pricing_new.htm

Ignoring the activation fee, you can get a bigger download limit and faster speed, 512K. I am on this and the max is about 55kb/s. I don't know what living in Campbelltown would have to do with all this though....

(oh and if you do decide on changing to exetel, could you please PM me so you can use me as a refferer.:eek:) :)

edit: sunny has a fair point about download speeds...what if you download from sites like download.com or microsoft.com?
Exetel are going to shit lately, fucking p2pers and other such things. Go Internode or iiNet.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
withoutaface said:
Exetel are going to shit lately, fucking p2pers and other such things. Go Internode or iiNet.
I don't do p2p, so I haven't had any problems.

Lazy Lankan

HSC
coz I live in campbelltown they dont have the cables n stuff installed for cable internet and I dont think im within range for adsl broadband with optus ....

I did a Primus Speed Test and the result: 7.623kB/s which im pretty sure is piss poor! ive been trying to contact Primus for the last 2 days to ask em whats goin on but their customer service is down or sum bs!

what im thinking is ... coz my 12 month contract expires in march 07 and their are no switching fees for primus im gonna prob upgrade to like 512K/1000MB and c how it goes and if it doesnt improve dramatically then prob giv another provider a go ...

Lazy Lankan

HSC
Bigpond Broadband is Telstra yea?? Does anyone else agree with Secret? Coz from what I heard I thought Telstra were like really really dodgy and their customer service support was crap?? correct me if im wrong ...

AntiJap

HSC
N/A
What's the problem with exetel and p2p? Don't they let u download from it or somehting?

Lazy Lankan

HSC
ok so now im lost .... i went to ozspeedtest.com, went to the iprimus mirror and ran the test. the results:
___

Your connection speed:

kbps: 62.97
KB/s: 7.87
Mbps: 0.06
___

k so the KB/s is similar to the result I got from the primus test [7.623kB/s], but whats the go with kbps, 62.97 ???

sunny

meh.
HSC
Lazy Lankan said:
ok so now im lost .... i went to ozspeedtest.com, went to the iprimus mirror and ran the test. the results:
___

Your connection speed:

kbps: 62.97
KB/s: 7.87
Mbps: 0.06
___

k so the KB/s is similar to the result I got from the primus test [7.623kB/s], but whats the go with kbps, 62.97 ???
62.97 is kilobits per second. 7.87 is kilobytes per second. They're the same quantity/speed, just different measurement units.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
You may be capped (shaped) already because you've gone over 500MB. Personally, I can't live with only that much per month. Optus is good with their 'yes' data, with $40 you could get 6GB 24000kbps download.

Try accessing your adsl modem using a web browser and look at your synchronisation rates. Since if you live so far away from the exchange, the adsl signal would deteriorate so much that you can't use the full bandwidth. Especially since you're only on a 256kbps plan, which equates to 32KB per second max.

secret said:
Eh, like I said - I've been with TELSTRA Bigpond now for two years and I can honestly say that their customer support is about the best you'll get from any ISP.

Dodo is the worst ever.
Bigpong has many extra things like "backup dial up service", "holiday dial up service", "unmetered sites (doesn't count towards your usage)", "wireless access points in the cities". Pretty much anything you can think of that you wont need :p
They're also relatively expensive as a result, but they make money through advertising and such so everyone knows them but not other internet providers.

would any of you know what is the best wireless internet deal with unlimited downloads?
There is no such thing as unlimited wireless. Even unlimited fixed broadband (adsl) is very rare & epic.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)