• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Internet Speed (2 Viewers)

Internet Connection?

• Cable+

Votes: 36 36.7%
  • ADSL

Votes: 44 44.9%
  • Wireless

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Dial-up

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • No internet at home

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
wrx said:
lol i meant because rural has crap net access, whereas newcastle has still decent dial up. lol. I didnt mean that!
Haha, I am only joking around. What do you mean we have decent Dial-Up though? Isn't it all the same:)?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
well rural has a crap infrastructure when it comes to internet. Haven't you seen all those bare copper wires which are telephone lines? Try sending data down that :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
wrx said:
well rural has a crap infrastructure when it comes to internet. Haven't you seen all those bare copper wires which are telephone lines? Try sending data down that :p
Ah, OK, I see:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I just found out I can get ADSL:D! I am going with the Exetel 512/AU Plan (8 GB - $42.50):D!

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Merethrond said:
I just found out I can get ADSL:D! I am going with the Exetel 512/AU Plan (8 GB - $42.50):D!
Noooo! get the 'T' plan. you can override their service for calls anyway and still get telstra capped calls.

Always get teh 'T' plan unless you are on telstra advanced plan and make heaps of STD calls.

for international you can get phone card anyway.

and with 'T' plan you save 15% on all calls.

EDIT: and save $5 on adsl

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
Noooo! get the 'T' plan. you can override their service for calls anyway and still get telstra capped calls.

Always get teh 'T' plan unless you are on telstra advanced plan and make heaps of STD calls.

for international you can get phone card anyway.

and with 'T' plan you save 15% on all calls.

EDIT: and save $5 on adsl
Oh damn! I should have come on here before I ordered it:(. I asked mum about it and she said you have to pay two lots of line rentals or something, so she didn't want to risk it. Oh well:(.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
No, you don't pay two lots of line rental, you basicly change your telstra line rental to the "Homeline Part" plan. Where it is i think $26.95 and 22c local calls. (i'll check...)

If you call up exetel tomorrow, i'm sure they will let you change it. It will take you around 5weeks to get your line activated/tested.

btw... just because your region supports ADSL doesn't mean you can get it. My line testing failed before so i couldn't get it. Then they upgraded.

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
No, you don't pay two lots of line rental, you basicly change your telstra line rental to the "Homeline Part" plan. Where it is i think $26.95 and 22c local calls. (i'll check...)
Are you sure:)?

jm1234567890 said:
If you call up exetel tomorrow, i'm sure they will let you change it. It will take you around 5weeks to get your line activated/tested.
OK, thanks, I might do that if the above is possible:).

jm1234567890 said:
btw... just because your region supports ADSL doesn't mean you can get it. My line testing failed before so i couldn't get it. Then they upgraded.
They said that my phone number is enabled though:confused:.

jm1234567890 said:
http://www.exetel.com.au/v_faq.htm
http://www.exetel.com.au/v_how_to_use_exetel.htm

Read these...

and don't change you local calls to exetel, extel local calls are timed (but cheap for short calls).
OK, will do tomorrow morning, (the Apprentice 2 is on now):p. Thanks for your help:).

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Merethrond said:
They said that my phone number is enabled though:confused:.
yes, that means that your local switch has enough ports and spports ADSL.

BUT, you might live too far away from the switch, be pair gained, be on a RIM, have poor cabling.....

many reasons why your application will be rejected after testing.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
wrx said:
Damn, i cant get adsl, eventhough i live like 15km from city :'( Even newcastle ppl can get it! damn telstra.....
Why is that? I thought everyone in the Metropolitan area can get ADSL:confused:? I am not even in Newcastle CBD:eek:!

Idyll

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
That online tester thingy doesn't bother to tell you whether your exchange has enough ports (some non-telstra ones might include the info from other telstra documents (it's still available)).

With the way the process works, when you apply, telstra first checks whether your line's ok, comes back and says the service is deliverable, and only then do they go away and check whether there's enough ports. it's a nice stunt, they tell you the service is deliverable, just not when ;)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
jm1234567890 said:

BUT, you might live too far away from the switch, be pair gained, be on a RIM, have poor cabling.....

many reasons why your application will be rejected after testing.
Oh, I wish they would tell you this on the phone:(. I was really happy when I found out, I hope I can still get it. I am going to read those links now:).

wrx said:
too far from the exchange :(
Oh, I see. How far can you be from the exchange:)?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Merethrond said:
Oh, I wish they would tell you this on the phone:(. I was really happy when I found out, I hope I can still get it. I am going to read those links now:).

Oh, I see. How far can you be from the exchange:)?
u can be up too 4 km from the local ADSL exchange, if u want the 2000kbps download one, its 1.5 km.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
theone123 said:
u can be up too 4 km from the local ADSL exchange, if u want the 2000kbps download one, its 1.5 km.
Hmm, I am pretty sure I am inside 4 km then:). EDIT: Who would pay $295 per month for Internet Access (for the 2048 / 384 kbps plan):eek:? I don't care how fast it is! You would have to be a millionaire:cool:!

I had a read of those links and the first one is pretty confusing and I didn't really understand what it was trying to say. The second one I did understand and I think the part that related to me is this:

Pre-Selection is physically done at the local exchange and all 'distance' calls from your pre-selected telephone line will be billed to you by Exetel. this option should be selected if you don't used Telstra's capped call packaged deals to STD numbers. Selecting pre-selection qualifies you to receive the lower cost 'T' ADSL plans as well as getting 15% of your ex-gst telephone monthly bill deducted from your ADSL monthly access.
So what would an example of "capped call packaged deals to STD numbers":confused:? Is it something like call for as long as you want for $5 or something similar? If so, I will have o ask my mum whether she does this. Further down the page it says:

Telstra will continue to bill you for your line and other Telstra services, including local calls, 1300 and 13 calls, and Exetel will bill you for your distance calls and calls to mobiles (This process takes around 10 – 15 working days).
So does this mean that we actually pay Telstra for the line rental but pay Exetel for the actual calls? Finally, are Exetel's "Calls To Mobiles, Calls To Other Australian Locations and International Destinations" the same price or cheaper than Telstra:)?

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Actually, don't worry about it. Mum is way too skeptical about it:rolleyes:. Apparently she has changed to other phone providers before and been charged for line rental twice:(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)