Internship questions (1 Viewer)

pigyar

HSC
Hi ppl i am a first year commerce student and i have some questions about internships.

What is and what do you do in a internship?

When should a student apply for internships? First year? Second? Last?

Thanks alot =)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Career development programs for first year students

Apply for Achiever Work Experience Program in your first year or E&Y's program for accounting.

Deliotte has a 2 day program in Melbourne whihc you might be interested in.

Other than that its all your 2nd year Summer vacation with firms such as Deliotte, HSBC (which I think isn't offering interns atm), KPMG, UBS, Deutsche Bank etc. depending on your major. There are a few winter ones, I think JP Morgan has one.

pigyar

HSC
thanks for the link =). I suppose i will wait until i am in the second year.

Are academic grades important interms of getting the internship?

AlternateAlt

HSC
N/A
thanks for the link =). I suppose i will wait until i am in the second year.

Are academic grades important interms of getting the internship?
They are to an extent. You want a distinction average (or at least very close to it) or higher if you are going for the investment banks. Could probably get away with a mid range credit at the Big 4 though. You need the marks to get the interview - though most people seem to agree that once you get the interview, it doesn't matter.

BoganBoy

HSC
though most people seem to agree that once you get the interview, it doesn't matter.
thats arguable. once you get to 2nd round with senior managers they tend to try to grill you on your grades if they can (if you got a P or fail). Hr ppl dont seem to care all that much as long as you are a nice person.

pearling

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, im wondering can a commerce deg person apply for internships with investment banks as well as accounting firms or do they prefer comm/law or dont matter? Are the pay reasonable and do you travel as an intern?

AlternateAlt

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, im wondering can a commerce deg person apply for internships with investment banks as well as accounting firms or do they prefer comm/law or dont matter? Are the pay reasonable and do you travel as an intern?
It's possible with just Commerce, but you would want to be planning on doing the honors year if you are intending to get a graduate position at one of the IBs.

It's pretty rare to travel as an intern. The pay is usually pro-rata of something close to graduate pay (which is 80-100k p.a., do the math).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)