Internships in the Media/Entertainment Industry? (1 Viewer)

*rUsTy*

HSC
Is there anybody that knows much about this potential option when completing year 12? I just want to know the basics like...
  • how long do they usually last
  • how you get around to being offered one
  • paid/unpaid
  • what they involve
  • is it worth my time experience-wise?
It would be really helpful if people just gave me some advice as I'm still exploring my options when it comes to what I want to do next year. Also it would be good if anyone knows any good companies or agencies that do these types of internships.

Cheers guys and gals! :)

shimmy&shine

HSC
It's great that you have so much enthusiasm and that you're already starting to think about work experience and internships!

Just briefly, (and from what I know)
* how long do they usually last
Anywhere from one day to a whole year. I think the longest of I've heard of is one year. usually the one year thing is a more intensive, more disciplined approach to gettin gexperience in the workplace. There is usually a program you have to follow, and companies take on from one (small media organisations) to around ten (like the fairfaz cadetships) proper interns (that is, paid).
For just get a general work experience, one week is ideal, and that's how long companies usually offer.

* how you get around to being offered one
You don't get offered one (i guess unless you're a prodigy and word gets around that you're looking for an internship or you know someone who works in media). In this industry you need initiative, so it's best if you pursue these internships and work experience. Call them up, send them an email with your resume attached. Try to think of everyone you've ever met in your life and uncover all your connections to the industry. Also, apply for internships that are offered to the public.

* paid/unpaid
It all depends. The ABC cadetship, you get paid, I think around 40k for the year. Otherwise, for most, you go in voluntarily, and do the work unpaid. But it's well worth the time and effort. Sometimes, work experience can lead to a paid job.

* what they involve
In print, it could involve writing articles, doing extra research for reporters and editors, writing briefs, going through the stacks of media releases. The other side to it could involve running errands and getting coffee.
In television, it could involve sitting with the producers and writing voiceovers, going on the road with reporters doing their stories, sitting with the Chief of Staff and see how they deal with answering phones all day and assigning stories, watching the tapes be cut and editted and be played live on air. And if you have the required training, you can go up in the chopper and fly around Sydney and out, all the way to newcastle and beyond, and get back in the same day.

* is it worth my time experience-wise?
hell yes.

Hope the above is helpful, but like i said, that's only from what i know, and I'm sure there are plenty of others who can answer your questions more thoroughly.

In terms of which media organisations are the best, there are the obvious, like the Fairfax (who take a couple of straight out of high school) and ABC cadetships (which usually require previous experience in the media), but all in all, every media outlet has something to offer you. Newsrooms operate and work differently so you want to get your foot in the door and try out many different places.

as a starting point, maybe you could try your local newspaper and hopefully make a good impression. Maybe the editor know someone who works at a different media organisation and may refer you to there, and from there, who knows?! Anything can happen in this industry.

:)

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
ok so i'm gonna talk from the music industry side of things, coz its what i know best. i know of one going around with a pretty reputable music management business. it goes for 2 days a week over 6 months. i guess my tip for the music industry is that its not necessarily what you know or how good you are, but who you know. and then the rest follows. but to answer your questions:

how long do they usually last: anywhere from one day up to a year if your good, from there they may offer you employment.

how you get around to being offered one:
like i said before, its who you know, if you have a friend in the field you want (even musos with signed contracts), get them to hook you up. its incredibly competitive, so employers go by your rep amongst your peers, at our age theyre not necessarily gonna look at your resume, unless you've already been with some good companies. also get a heap of experience, coz this is hard work and they're not gonna offer it to anyone wanting a 9-5 job. its more a 6am-2am job, not that you always work that long, but thats the quality if u get me. they have to know youve got the guts to slave your ass off without alot of return.

paid/unpaid: both

what they involve: anything from making coffees, stapling paper, doing runsheets, ringing people, gettin into gigs for free and merching, anything and everything man

is it worth my time experience-wise? totally because its full-on in your face industry work... the only way to go up is to build up. and building is not easy, you have to have the passion and desire otherwise you'll burn out and cark it. internships give you a great insight to see if this is really where you want to go.

hope that all helps mate

chilena4life

HSC
i've been doing an internship at a magazine called YEN since may last year so it's really however long you want it to last....

it is a must to get work experience as that will be your key to networking and also potentially landing you your first job.

if you want experience ask for experience it isn't too wise to ask for an internship before a few days or a week of experience. when you ask to be an intern ppl get the impression you wanna be there every week 1-2 days a week.

watch out for people who may try exploit your time and your efforts...

if you want experience a good way to go about it is cold calling and asking to meet the people you are interested in working with as an intern/work experience student....meet them in person and ask for their advice on how you should approach your journey into journalism....then ask for experience....its really the best way to go about it...ask them things like "what does an average day involve?"..."any technology/software used in particular?"...."any skills they feel are essential"...."do your offer work experience?"

etc etc etc
BE PREPARED FOR MONTHS OF UNPAID WORK(at least)

GOOD LUCK with it all...i felt the same when i started!

maz5

HSC
Great question! I am heading up to Fairfax next week. My brother works in IT there and has access. Hopefully they will be generous and allow me to talk to some of the journalists!

LAMBERS16

HSC
Great question! I am heading up to Fairfax next week. My brother works in IT there and has access. Hopefully they will be generous and allow me to talk to some of the journalists!
Hey Maz,

Whereabouts did u decide to go to uni?
I remember u couldn't decide a while ago!

maz5

HSC
Hey Maz,

Whereabouts did u decide to go to uni?
I remember u couldn't decide a while ago!
I know this is a incredibly belated reply, but I chose to take the scholarship and go to Sydney Uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)