Internships or Part-time employment (1 Viewer)

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

For someone entering 3rd year this year, what would be better to do - part-time work in a small finance/research firm for relatively long term (1+ year) or focus on interning in different fields?

Having done my first internship, I feel like the amount of time we have (Around 10 weeks) isn't enough to see an engagement end-to-end (something I really wanted to do) or get full involved in the technical aspects because we obviously aren't trained enough.

Cheers

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You'll never become technically trained working as an intern but it's about gaining an experience in a company or industry which you otherwise wouldn't be able to get access to. Someone who is employed on a full or part time basis is essentially working for their salary because the output they produce is able to justify the cost of employing them. When you are interning, there is minimal expectation (in most places I'd say) that you are producing enough value to justify your cost but rather it's about both sides investing time and resources to see if this fit will work over a longer term. It's more of a try before you buy from an employer's perspective, and it's an opportunity for the individual to experience something different which they otherwise wouldn't be able to access.

To answer your question more specifically I'd say unless you found exactly what you want in that part time role and it'll set you up for the longer term career you want, I'd intern again.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
thanks for your response serimify.

Precisely that, in internships we get good exposure to just how that particular firm works etc and good experience on our CV (e.g. interns being more common in well known firms). On the other hand we can work part time for a smaller firm picking up some technical skills along the way (without planning to progress up in that firm).

Typically, what is easier to sell to employers? "I interned at xyz and learnt abc" or "i had experience with *some techinal tools*". From what I've noted, they expect grads to know Minimal things as well - usually picked up on the job?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Is the part-time job something that you can't do interning at xyz? Do you think they will provide more training and exposure then an internship? Generally with part-time jobs like that you'll be trained in something but generally be stuck there doing it for the duration of your employment, of course if they and you think there is a longer-term relationship to grow then they might train you further but usually for the first 6 months you'll be doing something very similar to what they teach you in your first month. With an internship you can get exposure to a lot more, and you have the flexibility to choose (to a degree, granted you get offers) where and what area to work in, and of course getting exposure with bigger firms doesn't hurt either.

I would try and strike a deal with them in that you'll work for the duration of the year until summer break comes which could be able 9 months ~ and then after that you wish to take a holiday etc...(which is where you'll do your summer internship) - winter internships aren't as easy to come by so it might be worth sticking with the firm during then.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for your response serimify.

Precisely that, in internships we get good exposure to just how that particular firm works etc and good experience on our CV (e.g. interns being more common in well known firms). On the other hand we can work part time for a smaller firm picking up some technical skills along the way (without planning to progress up in that firm).

Typically, what is easier to sell to employers? "I interned at xyz and learnt abc" or "i had experience with *some techinal tools*". From what I've noted, they expect grads to know Minimal things as well - usually picked up on the job?
I'd say if you can intern at a place you actually want to start a proper career with - do that. Like you said, graduates are usually hired based on their potential (which is typically driven by personality, willingness/ability to learn, cultural fit, etc) as opposed to technical competence.

enoilgam

HSC
It depends on what either offers and the industry you are in. You want to ideally do something which is going to lead to further opportunities at the end. For example, in law, clerkships (i.e. internships) offered by larger firms will lead to a full-time graduate position (since they aim for 100% retention). So I would say they are more favourable then a part time role at some smaller law firm.

For me, I had a small part time role with a big company but given the company's issues, it was never going to lead anywhere (which kind of made me wonder if I should have gone for other positions). However, the experience was enough to land me a really good role now so I definitely don't regret it. Had I have started as a company as an intern and progressed to a graduate, I would have been a year or two behind career-wise. That being said, Im in HR and that's a difficult industry to break into because of it's circular nature (i.e. you need experience to get an entry level role). In contrast, something like accounting or law is driven by graduate programs, so for them an internship which led somewhere would have been more useful.

Anyway, as I said at the beginning, it should depend on the industry you are in and the opportunities for further employment which each offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)