Interstellar Thread (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
Even if it wasn't Nolan directing it, I'd still love it just for the themes and subject matter. I think it's sad that space exploration is so undervalued in society (US defence budget is something like 40x that of NASA). If the money spent on the unnecessary F-35 was spent on space, we would have been on Mars 2 decades ago.
without nolan it would be a different story considering it were the two brothers writing and directing.

edwardf316

HSC
N/A
For every part of the movie i loved, there were others that i thought were pretty bad. The things this movie does so well is everything in space. The visuals are simply incredible and create some of the most breathtaking moments in movies this year. Combine that with a great Hans Zimmer score (although admittedly it was a bit tired near the end) and excellent performances by McConnaughey, Hathaway and Irwin as well and you've got some incredible cinema. However, for the first 45 minutes i actively disliked this film. Everything on Earth is overstuffed with exposition and shoddy dialogue. The sound mixing was also quite frankly horrendous in some parts leaving me unable to understand some lines of dialogue. That being said this movie is experience and one that seems to transcend it's flaws due to like i said some simply fucking incredible scenes in space

astroman

HSC
planning to go watch Interstellar for the 3rd time at IMAX on Sunday :D cannot wait.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
So I've actually done a research project in plausible time travel in science fiction, relating it to relativity and physical laws. I was trying to explain this mini thesis to someone last week and started getting really excited then they absolutely killed it by saying 'Like Interstellar, yeah?' :(
Not possible due to mass dilation, you would literally reach a mass of infinity as you approach the speed of light.

If you use Einstein's equation of E = mc^2 (i.e. The equivalence of mass and energy), it would mean that you would need an infinite force to move.

That being said however, if you were to travel faster than the speed of light (i.e. Superluminal velocities) then you'd achieve time travel, but you would only be able to travel back in time rather than forwards.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
best movie ever, need some understanding of physics doe
Yeah just some simple concepts though like how they mention slingshotting, which of course refers to the slingshot effect

And with blackholes, and how they're formed as a consequence of a collapsed star, and with reference to the horizon

Same with the neutron star they were planning to slingshot around, and how they avoided it because of time dilation, also I heard from somewhere that a teaspoon of dirt from a neutron star is 10000 tonnes, so yeah it would have a pretty intense gravitational pull

Also with how time dilation occurs

And that massive wave being a consequence of Gargantua's gravitational pull

Have I missed anything?

astroman

HSC
Yeah just some simple concepts though like how they mention slingshotting, which of course refers to the slingshot effect

And with blackholes, and how they're formed as a consequence of a collapsed star, and with reference to the horizon

Same with the neutron star they were planning to slingshot around, and how they avoided it because of time dilation, also I heard from somewhere that a teaspoon of dirt from a neutron star is 10000 tonnes, so yeah it would have a pretty intense gravitational pull

Also with how time dilation occurs

And that massive wave being a consequence of Gargantua's gravitational pull

Have I missed anything?
think thats it, maybe how they counteract the 'zero' g-forces when in space by spinning the spacecraft

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
think thats it, maybe how they counteract the 'zero' g-forces when in space by spinning the spacecraft
Also how when the endeavour (if that's what it was called) stayed in the same position over time, which showed that it was in a geo-stationary orbit

astroman

HSC
Also how when the endeavour (if that's what it was called) stayed in the same position over time, which showed that it was in a geo-stationary orbit
also, there is a flaw in the movie, when they are on the planet with the immense tidal waves, they only require the single space ship to escape its gravity which is IIRC 30% more than that of Earth, although escaping Earth gravity required a multistage rocket...

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
also, there is a flaw in the movie, when they are on the planet with the immense tidal waves, they only require the single space ship to escape its gravity which is IIRC 30% more than that of Earth, although escaping Earth gravity required a multistage rocket...
Yeah haha

And on top of that they've been in space for so long experiencing no gravity

I've seen a video where they land on earth (Doco with brian cox) after 6 months and can't even sit up

These guys land on the planet, can walk and show that they can feel that the gravity is greater than that of earths

I guess some things couldn't have been correct in order to fit everything into the movie

astroman

HSC
and falling into a blackhole and surviving is just straight up fiction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)