Interstellar Thread (1 Viewer)

zandorac

HSC
Unlisted videos on the Interstellar Movie YouTube channel:

Interstellar (2014) - JPL Question 1
Interstellar (2014) - JPL Question 2
Interstellar (2014) - JPL Question 3 (wormhole physics)
Interstellar (2014) - JPL Question 4 (black holes)

The videos are of screenwriter Jonathan Nolan and physicist Kip Thorne discussing the science of the film Interstellar (2014) in a Q&A session with Sean Carroll, at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, in Pasadena, California. The videos have been submitted to the website Unlisted Videos (unlistedvideos.com), a site for making unlisted YouTube videos easier to find.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I am slowly catching up on Big Bang Theory but I was so amazed that Kip Thorne was in a recent episode!

blyatman

HSC
N/A
One of the best and most inspiring movies of all time in my book. Would've been a solid 11/10 if it had not been for the 5/7 ending and all that "love transcends time" mumbojumbo. The physics was mostly on point, which made it all the more epic.

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
One of the best and most inspiring movies of all time in my book. Would've been a solid 11/10 if it had not been for the 5/7 ending and all that "love transcends time" mumbojumbo. The physics was mostly on point, which made it all the more epic.
Well said. We share a common perspective there!

Also I read an article which said that apparently the black hole was soo accurate in the movie that Astrophysicists actually used it to gain new insight into how black holes work.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I think the main contribution was that it was the first time where they could visualise what it would look like. The actual physics of the bh were supposedly a bit extreme. E.g. I think kip said the whole 1 hr = 7 yrs effect is supposedly theoretically possible, given that the blackhole spun rapidly enough, but is unlikely to occur, but they did it anyway for the plot lol. Nonetheless it was interesting. I wrote a paper on the time dilation effects of the twin paradox outside a black hole which was published in a journal a few months before the movie came out, so I'm a bit biased towards the movie since it felt like watching my research haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)