Interview, Cadetship + Callback Times (1 Viewer)

annastar

HSC
I'm living in a small town and went for an interview for an accounting cadetship a week and a half ago.

The (largeish for rural) firm said that they'd call back that Friday - small town, not many interviewees - and that was a week ago. What do I do/think?

I'm kind of stuck because if I'm not accepted for the cadetship, I'm going to have to change my uni preferences before the 4th. So,

- If I haven't got the job, should I still be expecting a callback (I thought yes)?

and

- Is it acceptable to contact them?

Thanks.

shane23q06

HSC
oo i wnna apply for a cadetship too after year 12!!
umm tough situatoin...calling em back could tell them your really interested and keen or it could mean to em that ur desperate...but if u explain your situaton with uni...i think theyd understand
im not sure but thats what id do probably

annastar

HSC
Thanks Shane... Yeah I'm the same, I didn't want to sound desperate! I still haven't heard from them so come tuesday I'll give them a call. Good luck with finding a cadetship next year, too. If you get the chance, arrange work experience with the firms you're interested in... That was my major downfall!

shane23q06

HSC
no worries.
oh yeah cool...so what do you think i should do? just approach them and ask for any work experience vacancies?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Why would you need to change your prefs if you don't get offered the cadetship? Usually the requirement FOR a cadetship is that you'll be studying a relevant degree with a major in Accounting; and that the cadetship will allow you to gain some work experience whilst studying that degree. If you're planning on changing courses purely on the basis of not being offered a cadetship, then maybe the cadetship wasn't really suitable for you?

On a sidenote, I haven't taken into consideration that when you say change preferences, it could be to change universities or for location reasons (eg. you'll only move to certain uni if you'll be working nearby kindof thing).

Anyhow, with regards to your situation, it doesn't hurt to give various firms a call and see if they need any people or have vacancies for cadets- it's usually around this time that people drop out (for various reasons).

annastar

HSC
Yeah, it's a location thing - If I was offered the cadetship I'd stay living here and go to the closest uni, which is an hour away. I'd really love the cadet experience, plus it gives me the opportunity to stay in my community, working for a local firm. Otherwise I'd like to go to Canberra, because there's so much more available - Languages, etc - that I'd like to do... Still with an accountng major.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
annastar said:
Yeah, it's a location thing - If I was offered the cadetship I'd stay living here and go to the closest uni, which is an hour away. I'd really love the cadet experience, plus it gives me the opportunity to stay in my community, working for a local firm. Otherwise I'd like to go to Canberra, because there's so much more available - Languages, etc - that I'd like to do... Still with an accountng major.
If that's the case, call them and politely ask; then explain your reasons for asking/pushing it (ie. what you said above). It's fair enough and if they find it unreasonable/pushy, then it's questionable how understanding they will be when you have uni commitments!

annastar

HSC
Thanks Seremify - I've called and the director with whom I had the interview is going to call me back, which is what he said two weeks ago. The unreliability has made me rethink taking an offer if I get one, but we'll see what happens. Thanks again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)