Int'l Studies (1 Viewer)

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
errrr ok. its pretty simple. each semester you take 24 units of credit.

for first years this means 4 subjects per semester:

international studies core = 6 units
stream core (eg. development) = 6 units
language = 6 units
arts elective = 6 units

for second year you have to do 5 subjects because you do two general education subjects that are only worth 3 credit units:

stream core = 6 units
language = 6 units
general education subject1 = 3 units
general education subject2 = 3 units

and so on and so forth

snowblack

bleh
HSC
Sorry to be so nosy but whats your stream core?
How are you finding it?

Manan

HSC
Hi Guys,

Just wondering would anyone be able to provide a timetable for the international studies Global studies stream. This sounds a little too meticulous I know, but I've applied for a job and they want to see what my hours and timetable would be like this year. I guess it would change from year to year but a rough idea would be great.

Thanks so much.

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
i'd love to help you out there except that you didn't say what subjects you are doing. if you want to find out when subjects are on go to www.timetable.unsw.edu.au

This website has all the classes and all the times. However, be aware that if you are doing a language having previously studied it (eg. continuing from high school) then you will probably have to sit a short test in feb so they know what level to put you in. Therefore, you're not going to know exactly what class you are in for a fair few weeks. Also, some subjects don't allocate tutorials until the first lecture in march.

You have choices in first year which are on at different times and different days. INST core has world history or international relations, GLST is changing this year so im not exactly sure what your choices are, then you pick your language, then you pick absolutely any first year subject from the arts and social sciences faculty. They have an introductory day after everyone has received their letters of admission where they provide you with a booklet of all the arts elective options and tell you what your core options are.

vicchick_007

Eternal student
HSC
So if i got into arts and wanted to transfer to intl later on, would it be a good idea to clone the core subjects for intl for my first year of arts and then go straight into 2nd year intl?

If so, this is my plan:

BA ARTS
History
Politics & Int relations
Chinese
Asian studies

Thats basically the first year of international bar the elective.

However, i have been thinking... and would like to finish my arts degree but pursue a concurrent degree or double degree (if possible) in my 3rd year of arts. So in that case, should i just go ahead with the intl combination of core subj's for my arts degree or go all out and do my whacky but wonderful variety of other subj's?

Is any of this possible, let alone making sense??

Thanks

snowblack

bleh
HSC
For the Arts elective in the first year, would I be able to take Introductory Spanish 1A ? I'm not doing the language stream so would I still be allowed to take two languages (even if the second language is only for the first year) ?
Thanks !

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
an arts elective is just that. You can do whatever arts elective you like. And yeah, if you're doing two languages and you're not sure which you want to continue with it doesn't matter coz you just have to complete two years worth of languages. You could even change and do an entirely different one in second year.

and vicchick, if you change into IntSt. then do the IntSt subjects and subjects for the stream you hope to get into. These are compulsory subjects in order to qualify for the degree, so if you don't do them then its likely you will have to do these first year courses in what would have otherwise been your second year. Meaning you basically have to do an extra year at uni (and pay for it)...

vicchick_007

Eternal student
HSC
hey thaaaaanks :)

Just enrolled into my arts subs:

History, Pol&int, Chinese, Development

Cant wait to begin!

Gillianna

HSC
I've just enroled in int'l studies this year. But my timetable got a "permitted clash." My Chinese lecture is every Thu 9:00 -12:00, International Relations lecture is also on Thu 10:00- 12:00, and there are no other options I can choose. The faculty of Arts/ Social science said they can't do anything about this. So do I just jig class every week, or do it alternatively? Does this happen to most people? How do they usually cope with this situation? How can I catch up all the work that I missed?
thx

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
Since when are Chinese lectures three hours long???????? Ok, im assuming you are enrolled in 3rd year Chinese, in which case despite it saying they are lectures... they are actually seminars (more like tutorials than lectures). I think you will find that you have to go to these Chinese seminars (generally absolutely everything in Chinese is compulsory, and attendance is assessable), in which case you have to skip the politics lecture.

Skipping a lecture is no big deal, particularly for international relations. Provided you either listen to it online, grab the tape from the library or if you are lucky sometimes lecturers put their entire lecture (last semester i had one that was printed word for word) online. You will get behind if you don't at least read the powerpoint. But i know people who didn't go to a single lecture, and still came out with High Ds in pols. And it isnt "jigging", it says permitted clash for a reason. YOU DONT HAVE TO GO TO LECTURES. Once you start uni, you'll realise that some lecturers are sooooo boring and sooooo stupid that there is absolutely no point going.

Heaps of people have two things on at the same time. In fact a lot of ppl plan it that way so they dont have to be at uni for too long and can therefore do part time work. You don't miss anything in a lecture. It's not like the work u miss in a tutorial. All you miss is having to sit in a room listening to somebody read notes (occasionally they put on a video). You have to do all your reading prior to the lecture anyway and everything is revised/expanded upon/ discussed in the tute.

Gillianna

HSC
jawjayo said:
errrr ok. its pretty simple. each semester you take 24 units of credit.

for first years this means 4 subjects per semester:

stream core (eg. development) = 6 units
language = 6 units
arts elective = 6 units

for second year you have to do 5 subjects because you do two general education subjects that are only worth 3 credit units:

stream core = 6 units
language = 6 units
general education subject1 = 3 units
general education subject2 = 3 units

and so on and so forth
Thx Jawjayo! I don't quite understand about the "general education subjects". My subject structure for semester 2 is the same as that in semester 1. So instead of having 3 units of ges1 and 3 units of ges2, i have 6 units of my elective. That's how I got this structure from the Enrolment Support. Is that supposed to be right as well?

Another question, if I choose int'l relation of 20Century in semester 1, does that mean I can't choose world history for semester2?

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
General education subjects are for SECOND YEAR students. So yes, enrolment support has given you the correct information.

You can do International Relations in first semester and then world history in second semester.
...But if you intend to undertake a career in international affairs, id recommend doing 2 international relations subjects in first year...
If not, then history is a good choice because 1st and 2nd semester of IR are very similar (and it can get boring as well).

Gillianna

HSC
If I don't know Japanese, do I still need to go to the Placement Test?

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
for chinese we just had to sign a form in the first lecture saying that we had never studied the language before

mistic

HSC
hey i'm doing:
international relations
intro to southeast asia
chinese
world history
not sure if you're allowed to enrol in both INST1300 and INST1100 though so i enrolled in INST1300 and HIST1016 which is the same course
so can anyone tell me if thats alright?

bshoc

HSC
N/A
B.International Studies at UNSW.

All smart 2006ers opt to do this course - teaches you everything: languages, history, politics, international relations, sociology, social policy, international law, world political economy..
You're right it teaches you everything - but you're really going to have trouble getting employed in any of the things I havent bolded - diplomacy and international economics - forget it. (unless you want to do a masters)

jawjayo

vast and green
HSC
Well personally, thats exactly what i hope to do. A PhD or masters. And yes, there probably aren't as many jobs to meet the ridiculous number of people doing the courses that are now at every uni but there are still plenty of options. Any government department will have a graduate entry program (DFAT is particularly generous), international organisations have openings, and you could always be an academic. All of the things i mention are interrelated so just because you have a history degree doesn't mean you spend the rest of your life doing history necessarily, does it! You could just as easily end up doing research for the minister for immigration.

somewhereelse

HSC
this is a great thread!!!

buuuuuttt i still dont know :-(

(and should be studying for trials..)

but wanted to say, thanks, jawjayo, for all your excellent detailed info on int studies :)

biancaaa

HSC
The information here is really great and has answered most of my questions, so thanks to those who have already posted (even if it was a while ago).

I'd like to know more about global studies - I don't really understand what it's about, and the info page on the UNSW site is broken. What sort of things do you study in that stream?

Thanks. :]

accolade

HSC
Hi bianca. im doing this degree and i can tell u that for glst u learn about the impact of glst around the world eco/social/pol .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)