Introducing: Dentistry at La Trobe University (1 Viewer)

lifequest

HSC
I've been browsing around this forum and have noticed that La Trobe University's Dentistry course has not been able to gain much public recognition.
I just want to introduce the course here for all those interested.

First up, for those who did not do well on the UMAT, do not panic. La Trobe's Dentistry course only takes into account your ATAR/ENTER; with the exception of special entry, transfers and rural entry.

First up a little introduction on the course:
University: La Trobe University
Bachelor of Sciences in Oral Health/Masters of Dentistry
It is a 5 year Bachelor/Masters program. Upon completion you will be granted a Masters degree & a fancy Dr. in front of your name.

YEAR 12 UNDERGRADUATE ENTRY
2011 PREREQUISITE
English (35) or ESL (40)
Biology (35) and Chemistry (35) - yet to be updated on the La Trobe website. Source: La Trobe Dentistry Coordinator.

FACTS
2008: Entry 1st round cut-off 98.80 | 60 places TOTAL (approx. 50 Undergraduate, 5 Transfers, 5 Rural)
2nd/3rd round offers as low as 97.00 (90.00+ for rural)

2009: Entry 1st round cut-off 99.70 | 40 places TOTAL (approx. 32 Undergraduate, 4 Transfers, 4 Rural)
2nd/3rd round offers as low as 99.3 (96+ for rural)

2010: Entry 1st round cut off 99.40 | 75 places TOTAL (approx. 55 Undergraduate, 6 Transfers, 14 Rural)
2nd/3rd round offers: THERE WILL BE NO 2nd/3rd ROUND OFFERS THIS YEAR - confirmed Health Science Faculty La Trobe. (90.00+ for rural)

You must complete all 5 years to be a qualified practicing Dentist. The full course, including the Masters is CSP. Upon completion of the Bachelor you are guaranteed entry into the Masters program. In a sense, it is a single course split into two "certificates".

While the course content is not set in stone, La Trobe focuses to address the apparent lack of technical skills of Dental graduates from other schools. As such, La Trobe dedicates a large number of hours to Clinical Practice. It is a very hands on course.

1st Year Subjects
Semester 1:
Dental Science A
Oral Health Science A
Clinical Practice A
Public Health A

Semester 2:
Dental Science B
Oral Health Science B
Clinical Practice B
Public Health B

2nd Year Subjects (similar to 3rd Year Subjects).
Semester 1:
Dental Science C
Medicine A
Dental Practice A

Dental Science:
Health science subject related to Dentistry. It involves the study of embryology of the head and neck, histology of dentition (teeth), anatomy, physiology.

Dental Practice:
Study of procedures and practical training. Exposure to different dental specialty including Orthodontics, Periodontics, Pedodontics, Endodontics etc.

Medicine:
Study of medicine. Exposure to different medical specialty and how it affects dentistry, including: Cardiology (Heart), Neurology (Brain), Oncology (Cancers), Nephrology (Kidneys), Haematology (Blood) and more. It is the study of diseases, manifestations and treatment including the use of pharmacological drugs.

NOTE: You will be required to study cadavers (dead bodies). You will be up-close and personal with cadavers starting first year. Do not worry if you are afraid. It is amazingly fun! Even those who are petrified get use to it within 2 to 3 lessons.

---------
Overall atmosphere:
The Staff
The lecturers' are highly qualified and friendly.
Since our course is so small, we are all friends to them! (They attend our balls and dance as well! Hehe)

The students
The benefit of such a small cohort is that everyone knows ...well, everyone! We are all friends. There are heaps of outings planned by the Dentistry and Oral Health Club. Movies, bowling, laser wars!!! FANTASTIC.

Accommodation
Everyone boards except for those who are local.
I live with 7 other Dental students. We have dinner together, cook, do grocery shopping and gym together. Awesome fun.
--------

Overall, the course is new and exciting. Feel free to PM me, or post here if you any questions or comments. I'm happy to assist in any way that I can.

Hope to see many of you at La Trobe University.

----
What can a Dentist do?

A Dentist is the GP of teeth. They are the first port of call for all dental related inquiries. As a Dentist you are trained to:
Surgically treat dental defects including that of teeth, surrounding connective tissue, jaw bones and associated structures.
They are qualified to:
Surgical operation relating to their field.
Perform radiography
Use anesthetics (Injection, nitrous oxide etc)
Prescribe (literally no prescription limits as long as it assists the procedure. i.e. prescribe anti-psychotics (or more likely just anti-anxieties) if you believe that the patient requires such drugs to assist treatment. Yes, Morphine as well, however, it would be hard to see why you would need such a drastic prescription.)

Last edited:

lifequest

HSC
do you work for latrobe or something?
I'm a student and an member of the Dental Club there. I expected comments like yours while I was writing this up. Please don't advertise your intolerance to the rest of the forum. This is a thread for those who are interested in Dentistry and wants to know what's out there.

While University websites do tell you facts, they don't give you other information like atmosphere, the students etc.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I'm a student and an member of the Dental Club there. I expected comments like yours while I was writing this up. Please don't advertise your intolerance to the rest of the forum. This is a thread for those who are interested in Dentistry and wants to know what's out there.

While University websites do tell you facts, they don't give you other information like atmosphere, the students etc.
Don't worry about the n00bs, etc BOS is full of idiots tbh. Anyway, I have an old school friend Anna N at La Trobe Dent's first cohort. It's good to see some one promoting it and not just stuff about CSU's new dent course. I'll be sure to include a list of Dent schools on a med and dent FAQ that i'll make in the comming year.

lifequest

HSC
Don't worry about the n00bs, etc BOS is full of idiots tbh. Anyway, I have an old school friend Anna N at La Trobe Dent's first cohort. It's good to see some one promoting it and not just stuff about CSU's new dent course. I'll be sure to include a list of Dent schools on a med and dent FAQ that i'll make in the comming year.
Brilliant. Thanks.

I know Anna Ng-is it- personally. She's in my year level. Only 43 of us left. We know everyone in our year level and 90% of the 2nd cohort.

-Onlooker-

HSC
do you work for latrobe or something?
Hey mrs grasshopper, Just want to say STFU.

Back on topic:

lifequest, great work. You've been my most reliable source for dentistry at Latrobe.

It's sad many don't realise the awesomness of your thread!

+Rep. Keep it up.

bubblesss

HSC
hey,

i was wondering if i had a chance to get in with an ATAR of 98 :confused:

also are the applications closed yet ?

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm glad to see you're very passionate about your course. It's a shame not many people realise it's out there.

dolbinau

HSC
I'm glad to see you're very passionate about your course. It's a shame not many people realise it's out there.
Maybe not here, but 99+ cut offs indicates that it is at least well known enough :p IMO

lifequest

HSC
hey,

i was wondering if i had a chance to get in with an ATAR of 98 :confused:

also are the applications closed yet ?
It would be quite hard with a 98.00 right now (esp. for 2010 entry, since La Trobe will be the only University in Victoria taking students for Dentistry). You can always try. I do not believe applications have closed yet. Applications are through VTAC. Does not hurt to apply. Best of luck.

Aldehyde

HSC
I want to apply with what will hopefully be an average OP 1. not sure what ENTER that is. Is there any point if the first round offer is like 99.7+. I'm not super-keen on moving to Bendigo, but I'd love dentistry. Is it worth paying the money to apply?

lifequest

HSC
I want to apply with what will hopefully be an average OP 1. not sure what ENTER that is. Is there any point if the first round offer is like 99.7+. I'm not super-keen on moving to Bendigo, but I'd love dentistry. Is it worth paying the money to apply?
It is a a meer $28 to apply via VTAC. Cheap. Boarding life is FUN! Plus, you never know, La Trobe might end up accepting 98.00+ like the 08' cohort.

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
i wish i found this earlier :(
if i do get 98-99 ( by some miracle ! , though now it gives me a reason to work for it haha ) but if i do, can i apply to this next year ? or is my atar not valid after i enter uni ?

davu4eva

HSC
Omg what a coincidence I stumpled across this! Haha it's Anna Ng here XD and I agree Dentistry at La trobe is awesome and possibly the best decision I've made career wise!

Best of Luck with anyone trying out!

lifequest

HSC
Omg what a coincidence I stumpled across this! Haha it's Anna Ng here XD and I agree Dentistry at La trobe is awesome and possibly the best decision I've made career wise!

Best of Luck with anyone trying out!
Get off your boyfriend's account and make your own! =D

redlily

HSC
I recently received a place at La Trobe dentistry (non-standard entry). Thanks for all of the info, lifequest. Out of curiosity, do you know why the number of places decreased for 2009 entry and whether it's going to remain that way?

lifequest

HSC
I recently received a place at La Trobe dentistry (non-standard entry). Thanks for all of the info, lifequest. Out of curiosity, do you know why the number of places decreased for 2009 entry and whether it's going to remain that way?
Glad you're joining us =)
I'll see you around campus.

The number of places decreased in 2009 is because of students in 08' cohort who failed.

While 55 students were accepted in 08', the 08' class now only has 42, compared to about 45 in 09' (even though only 40 new students were accepted in 09').
Note that many Transferred to Medicine.

As you can see, future cohorts will begin to "clump" as more students from each year fail and repeat. The University, must plan so that in any one year, they can accommodate all students in both pre-clinicals at Uni and when we all head off to distant clinics.

Congratulations on gaining entry. PM me/post here if you require assistance.

silly_elephant

HSC
Hey, I was just got an offer for Dent at La trobe, and i just have a couple of questions about the course, and it would be awesome if you could give them a shot.
firstly, what are the contact hours like? Like do we spend alot of time in first year in lectures/tutes/etc?
And are we allowed to miss classes at all? clearly its not desirable, but say we have to come back to melbourne for a thursday night and theres no way to get back to bendigo, would we be allowed to do that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)