Introducing: Dentistry at La Trobe University (1 Viewer)

lifequest

HSC
Hey, I was just got an offer for Dent at La trobe, and i just have a couple of questions about the course, and it would be awesome if you could give them a shot.
firstly, what are the contact hours like? Like do we spend alot of time in first year in lectures/tutes/etc?
And are we allowed to miss classes at all? clearly its not desirable, but say we have to come back to melbourne for a thursday night and theres no way to get back to bendigo, would we be allowed to do that?
First year I remembered about 26-32 contact hours a week.
Truancy for some subjects are ok (sorry, can't mention the name of the subjects here in case a lecturer prowls these forums).
However, you are required to be at about 95% of practical classes. If they fall into a friday, then you can probably only miss out one friday practical per semester.

Contact hours reduce in second year =D I believe about 12hrs/wk in 2nd sem, 2nd year. Hehe.

BTW, congrats.

tina18192

HSC
Hi
Im in my first year of uni and i was wanted to know how i would be able to transfer to dentistry for 2011......or if i were to do it postgrad....coz i really really want dentistry but i didnt manage to get in anywhere....
thanks

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
yeah i too am super interested in knowing if i can transfer into this course in the next couple of years.
what's the entry process like?

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
yeah i too am super interested in knowing if i can transfer into this course in the next couple of years.
what's the entry process like?
well for school leavers i think all u need is a kickass atar
for tertiary transfer applicants however i think it's a little different. for starters u need umat but i have no idea about the cutoffs.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Just wondering, when you graduate, where do you normally start off like working in hospitals or something and how long it normally takes before you can successfully start your own business?

lifequest

HSC
Regarding mid-course transfers:
The following are taken into account for students wish to transfer into La Trobe Dentistry after first year of a course.
1. ATAR
2. University Marks
3. Current Course and relevance. (Health Sciences/Sciences will get preference)
4. UMAT
5. Interview
6. Bribe me and I will put in a good word for you- for what it's worth =P

Regarding Deltan's Q.
Hospital placements begin 2nd half of third year.
Clinical/Hospital rotations run throughout fourth and fifth year.

Dentists do not need to work in a hospital upon graduation. You are free to work in clinics (private or public), hospitals (private or public) or go on the DOLE (up to you).
Saying this, you will still be required to update your knowledge regarding this field yearly. There are a certain number of "points" you need to obtain in order to keep your license. Some common methods of obtaining points include: Attending conferences, seminars etc. or doing additional courses.

Julzyy

HSC
Hey, i've just noticed that the pre-requisite for chemistry has changed this year to 35 instead of 35 in biology OR chem. I finished year 12 last year and got accepted into dentistry at bendigo but i've deferred :) I was just wondering how much chemistry is involved in the course because i didnt get 35 in chem and i'm worried I wont be good enough! haha

lifequest

HSC
Hey, i've just noticed that the pre-requisite for chemistry has changed this year to 35 instead of 35 in biology OR chem. I finished year 12 last year and got accepted into dentistry at bendigo but i've deferred :) I was just wondering how much chemistry is involved in the course because i didnt get 35 in chem and i'm worried I wont be good enough! haha
Did not know they allowed deferring!
Besides the point. Congrats.

Biology will be much more useful to you than Chemistry. Very little chemistry thus far, and as I am aware, almost 95% of theory based work will be finished by 3rd year. In other words, no chemistry, if you understand the following words you'll be fine:
Atoms, Molecules, compounds, chemical. The end.

delicate_tears

HSC
Hey! I've been searching for this kidn of help for a long time- I really wanted to know what Dent. is like from a student's perspective so thankyou so much for posting this thread up!
Can you give a honest overview of both the good and down sides to Dent? And form the sounds of it...is the rate of dropouts high?

Thanks in advance =D

douseewhatisee

HSC
Hi what are the UMAT requirements for a non-standard applicant? Do I have to score a 180+ total score? And what GPA do I need?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)