Introductions and Conclusions (1 Viewer)

Haks

HSC
Hey
i Gave in a few practice essay questions for Germany, and Leni and my teacher keeps telln me that i have the same the problem. She says my content is good but my introductions and conclusions suck. I dont knw wat to do, for my other subjects, my intros and concs are good, but for modern, i dunno, i jst cant seem to get it right. I think that my Intros and concs are ok, but my teacher doesnt. My trials are in two days and because she is markn em, i was wondering if u guys can tell me ways to improve on my intros and concs.
thanks

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
They're the easiest part. Some find it easier to do intros after the body, b/c you're just summarizing your paragraphs & telling the reader your view on the question before justifying it in the body. Conclusions are just a briefer version of the intro.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Intros and conclusions are common problems in essays in many subjects, especially history. Often people barely write an introduction, especially if they are ordering their essay chronologically. You need to indicate in the introduction what your argument is. E.g. if the question is to what extent did the Nazi party transform German culture and society, your introduction needs to address that question, in particular the EXTEND portion.

So you would talk about in your introduction what extent you feel they did transform German society, and what you are going to talk about to back up that contention (argument).

E.g. The Nazi party, under Hitler's leadership, made a concerted effort to transform German social and cultural life in numerous ways. They had a strong effect, with cultural programs such as the Hitler Youth reshaping the structure of the family. Also.... blah blah. Briefly list whatever other arguments you are going to use.

I hope that makes sense. But basically your introduction is setting out what you are arguing.

Then your conclusion should reinforce your argument. it should bring all the information you had in your essay together in to a concise summary which makes clear how this evidence has supported the claims you have made in response to the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)