Inv functions (1 Viewer)

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
don't these result in -x given the restriction for f(x)?

I got the inv function to be -sqrt(x) basing it from the original graph of f(x)

I got an Idea on why it might be wrong (can ya'll confirm if I'm right?):
as f(x) is restricted to x<=0, we can simplify the function to sqrtx- when we find the inverse, f^-1(x) will = x^2. Hence, we can prove the two identities

^reason why I'm asking is bc I get abs(x) If I implement it, seems flawed

Last edited:

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
don't these result in -x given the restriction for f(x)?

I got the inv function to be -sqrt(x) basing it from the original graph of f(x)

I got an Idea on why it might be wrong (can ya'll confirm if I'm right?):
as f(x) is restricted to x<=0, we can simplify the function to sqrtx- when we find the inverse, f^-1(x) will = x^2. Hence, we can prove the two identities

^reason why I'm asking is bc I get abs(x) If I implement it, seems flawed
the inverse function of x^2 with that restriction is -sqrt(x), i got that also and just to make sure i plugged it into desmos. i have no idea how you got an absolute value graph, what did you do?

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
I just realised the 'alternative' I used doesn't work either, theres surely no way to prove those identities

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I just realised the 'alternative' I used doesn't work either, theres surely no way to prove those identities
oh my bad, i forgot about the second part of the question. it is entirely possible to prove those identities:
for the first one, you sub x^2 into inverse f(x) with the restriction, so that when you simplify it you end up getting -(-x) = x
for the second one, when you square -sqrt x, you end up getting x.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
1671947504147.png
sorry for the crappy handwriting, i don't know how to use latex, but here's the working out for proving the first identity ^^
essentially, when you're finding the square root of x^2 with a negative in front of the entire root, you should get -x inside the root because x^2 has two square roots - x and -x, but you only take the negative solution because of the restriction. so you should be left with -x on the inside and another -ve sign on the front which cancel out to give x

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
inverse f(x^2) means that you sub in x^2 (with the restriction) - which is f(x) - into the inverse function equation you found, which is -sqrt(x), so that means the x is replaced by x^2 but the -ve sign in the front of the square root remains there because it is not affected by the substitution (until you simplify the expression where the two negative signs cancel out)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)