Inverse Fuctions (1 Viewer)

NewiJapper

HSC

Find the inverse of this function expressed as a logarithm. I know the answer I'm a bit stuck on how to get to it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
it says you finished hsc on yo sig

multiply everything by ex and solve using quadratic formula m8

K

khorne

Inverse function is found by replacing y-> x and x -> y then solving for y =

so y = 0.5(e^x - e^-x)

INV function: x = 0.5(e^y - e^-y)
2xe^y = e^2y - 1
0 = e^2y - 2x e^y - 1
u = e^y
0 = u^2 -2xu - 1
u = 2x +/- sqrt(4(x^2+1))/2
it must be the positive case, as the negative one is not in domain/range
so y = ln(x + sqrt(x^2 +1))

Last edited by a moderator:

NewiJapper

HSC
It was hyperbolic sin, but people said they didnt know what hyperbolics were so I left it like that :p

Wow. That was such a brainfart!!!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It was hyperbolic sin, but people said they didnt know what hyperbolics were so I left it like that :p

Wow. That was such a brainfart!!!
You have to do it the long way because you don't learn hyperbolic functions explicitly in the HSC courses and they asked for it in terms of log.

But it is indeed sinh inverse :)

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
You have to do it the long way because you don't learn hyperbolic functions explicitly in the HSC courses and they asked for it in terms of log.

The definition also holds for complex values. But that's a whole different (though interesting) topic.

L

legend1001

sorry to disappoint noob but newiijapper ( or should I say newbi-japper ) is actually in first semester of university. This is not specifically an hsc question

NewiJapper

HSC
I only did 2 unit for the HSC but the maths I HAVE to take for my science course is basically Ext 1 and Ext 2 maths. So why not post here and help others get practice? :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
The definition also holds for complex values. But that's a whole different (though interesting) topic.
Wow, seriously? That sounds so interesting! If eletrical engos built cooler things, perhaps i would've taken that course instead xD

sorry to disappoint noob but newiijapper ( or should I say newbi-japper ) is actually in first semester of university. This is not specifically an hsc question
Oh ahahahaha i see xD

I only did 2 unit for the HSC but the maths I HAVE to take for my science course is basically Ext 1 and Ext 2 maths. So why not post here and help others get practice? :p
Fair enough :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)