Investment Banking!111 (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
danielvh said:
My ideal job is management consulting for one of the large international firms such as Mckinsey or Bain etc. I wouldn't want to do IB at all. The work looks stressful and uninteresting to me (but that's just me of course).

I have no idea whether 5 majors is better than law/commerce. The reason why law is valued in the business world is that it shows that you're able to complete an academically challenging degree and have developed certain skills such as analytical skills and written/verbal skills. Decent marks in econs/commerce (distinction average +) would show the same things if presented to employers correctly in my opinion. Personally, I'm doing economics/commerce because I'm interested in a lot of different things in both fields. Originally I was doing Law/Commerce but found I had no interest in law.

Anyway, I'm off to sleep. Attending a seminar given by Vernon Smith (2002 winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics) at 7am tomorrow morning :)
I think i'll consider doing the commerce and economics rather then the law for the same reason you did, I really dont want theinefficence of saying i've done lw then never using it, I love statistical analysis and hope to combine my passion for calculus and economics through a commerce + economics course.

Looks like i'll just have to work through uni :D

Thanks for the clarification, just have to look at some more careers now :D

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
danielvh said:
My ideal job is management consulting for one of the large international firms such as Mckinsey or Bain etc. I wouldn't want to do IB at all. The work looks stressful and uninteresting to me (but that's just me of course).
At M/B/B you'd probably work as long and stress as much as any banker in a BB at New York.

Even at 2nd tier consulting firms (BAH etc) you're not far off.

Just spoke to a friend at a 3rd tier consulting firm (GM something). Averages mid-60s hrs easily.

danielvh

HSC
Omnidragon said:
At M/B/B you'd probably work as long and stress as much as any banker in a BB at New York.

Even at 2nd tier consulting firms (BAH etc) you're not far off.

Just spoke to a friend at a 3rd tier consulting firm (GM something). Averages mid-60s hrs easily.
Yeah, I realise that. I'm just saying, that for me personally, the type of work at IBs looks very stressful while at management consultancies it looks very interesting. Obviously it'll be different for someone else and I'm not saying IB is more stressful in general.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I think the work is stressful because of the long hours. A lot of stuff is actually quite interesting but you just don't have time to appreciate it. Too much other work to do. Too many deadlines.

I guess when someone's under the whip at 3am, nothing is really that interesting.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
I guess when someone's under the whip at 3am, nothing is really that interesting.
Can relate to that lol

What i'm looking at doing is setting out my degree s even if this shit is too hard for me I can do actuarial science, get my degree of that with not to much hassle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)