Investment Banking - any advice? (1 Viewer)

atm1991

HSC
I've been reading up about different career paths available upon completion of a Commerce/Business degree. Investment Banking seems to be a well regarded career option in terms of salary, opportunity to advance to higher managerial positions within companies and chances to network with high profile business executives. Although it seems like the long hours may be quite stressful, this is still an avenue I would like to learn more about

I have a few fairly general questions about what type of graduates would be most likely to succeed in such a highly competitive job market.

At the moment, I am considering doing BBusiness at UTS, with majors in accounting and finance. OR a major in accounting with sub majors in finance and Business Law. From what I understand, whilst a high WAM and GPA are vital regardless of degree choice, USYD and UNSW Comm/Law graduate generally have an advantage over the rest of the field. Would a sub major in business law at UTS be useful in the absence of a combined law degree?

In regards to post graduate qualifications, would studying for a CA or CFA depending on which majors I choose aid me greatly in reducing the gap between myself and Comm/Law graduates? Or should I endeavour to achieve honours or perhaps a MFinance instead of a professional qualification?

Any other advice on investment banking, degree/major choices appropriate to such a career or any other information would be appreciated.

Peace.

VLTURBO

HSC
Dont go to UTS for IB

Either UNSW USYD or Macq (Macq has a highly regarded BComm/BApplied Fin degree)

Make sure ur uni marks are D average

Affinity

HSC
I've been reading up about different career paths available upon completion of a Commerce/Business degree. Investment Banking seems to be a well regarded career option in terms of salary, opportunity to advance to higher managerial positions within companies and chances to network with high profile business executives. Although it seems like the long hours may be quite stressful, this is still an avenue I would like to learn more about
- You won't understand the stress until you do it for an extended period.

I have a few fairly general questions about what type of graduates would be most likely to succeed in such a highly competitive job market.
- High marks, good school, good looking, can talk, does 14-16 hour days

At the moment, I am considering doing BBusiness at UTS, with majors in accounting and finance. OR a major in accounting with sub majors in finance and Business Law. From what I understand, whilst a high WAM and GPA are vital regardless of degree choice, USYD and UNSW Comm/Law graduate generally have an advantage over the rest of the field. Would a sub major in business law at UTS be useful in the absence of a combined law degree?
-prestige factor does count sometimes... and minors are quite irrelevant.

In regards to post graduate qualifications, would studying for a CA or CFA depending on which majors I choose aid me greatly in reducing the gap between myself and Comm/Law graduates? Or should I endeavour to achieve honours or perhaps a MFinance instead of a professional qualification?
- By the time you get these done you are atleast 3 years in your career anyway.. s

2010grad

HSC
id go for a double degree over cfa/ca- it would be pretty difficult to break into ibd with a single (although not impossible). doubt a law minor says much really, id go for a double major in finance n acct or finance n economics.

try to get work experience as early as possible in your degree (try ca achiever award at the end f 1st year perhaps), get involved in extracurricular activities, part time employment and try to maximise your course wam (hd if possible).

best of luck ......... and well done for thinking seriously about ibd so early in your education- wish i had!

bwendan

HSC
id go for a double degree over cfa/ca- it would be pretty difficult to break into ibd with a single (although not impossible). doubt a law minor says much really, id go for a double major in finance n acct or finance n economics.

try to get work experience as early as possible in your degree (try ca achiever award at the end f 1st year perhaps), get involved in extracurricular activities, part time employment and try to maximise your course wam (hd if possible).

best of luck ......... and well done for thinking seriously about ibd so early in your education- wish i had!
Are you crazy man, CFA owns double degree any day.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Talk about comparing apples to oranges. CFA is done once you are in the profession. Degrees are done before getting into the profession.

Stick to UNSW/USYD/Maq if you want ibanking.

atm1991

HSC

Thanks mate but I am just enquiring; whether I can actually achieve the grades/qualifications necessary to enter the profession are a different story :haha:

EDIT: Does anyone have an opinion on this course: http://www.international.mq.edu.au/...tion=North Ryde (Sydney)&CourseVersionID=2594

Looks pretty good to me. And the UAI isn't quite as high as similar courses at USYD, UNSW, UTS etc (only a reflection of demand I know)

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I am personally going to try do my CFA I in my pentultimate year and hopefully have it done with a masters degree in mathematics as I really can't be bothered spending 1.5 more years as an undergraduate.

Just spend your first year doing extracurriculars: ALOT of them and then make you sure carry one through into your next years so you end up with atleast one leadership example on your CV. There are heaps of clubs you can join anyway - make sure you go to confrences as well for networking (I hopefully have got a scholarship and a part time job as an economics research assistant from a confrence I went to.)

I have extensive extracurriculars though going into mathematical finance I really think marks are more important - just make sure you cope thats all.

nellyei

HSC
I'm at the ANU first year bcomm(Account/Fin) and was wondering what kind of standards should I expect when the time comes to apply for IB internships?

Does the degree I'm doing cut it?
Does the Uni I'm at cut it?
Do the marks cut it? - I got D average first semester, but I though HD average was the way to go...

I also work part time retail, but I've been told it would be better if I worked in a financial area (esaily said than done though!)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I'm at the ANU first year bcomm(Account/Fin) and was wondering what kind of standards should I expect when the time comes to apply for IB internships?

Does the degree I'm doing cut it?
Does the Uni I'm at cut it?
Do the marks cut it? - I got D average first semester, but I though HD average was the way to go...

I also work part time retail, but I've been told it would be better if I worked in a financial area (esaily said than done though!)
At an UG level

• High Marks
  • Interest in current finance/economics
  • Extracurriculars (leadership, volunteering)
  • Experience (some institutions hold one day events, internships, trading shares etc.)
  • Get to know your acedemics! Network, Network, Network!
You might end up with some real nice oppurtunities to end up with something real sweet on your resume or just get real good experiences. My mentor for a business venture I am running was in the 40under40, I've also met quite a few real remarkable people at confrences: going to speak with a senior professor of financial mathematics at New York Uni too!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)